What's new
What's new

Best steadyrest for aluminum tubing?

I need to machine some internal snap ring grooves into the ends of some aluminum tubing (6061). Tubing will be 1.5" - 2" in diameter, 60-80 mil wall thickness, 12"-20" long. I have an old lathe, and an old steel-fingered steadyrest that goes with it. I'm guessing steel fingers won't work well for this, so what is the best alternative for this application? Ball bearing rollers?

I have used John's trick but that tends to polish the tubing in that spot. If that is OK then go with that. I would normally use a cats head type of set up. Make it as big as the steady will take so you can use it for future jobs. Brass or plastic tipped screws are best to use for the "whiskers".

Andy

I need to machine some internal snap ring grooves into the ends of some aluminum tubing (6061). Tubing will be 1.5" - 2" in diameter, 60-80 mil wall thickness, 12"-20" long. I have an old lathe, and an old steel-fingered steadyrest that goes with it. I'm guessing steel fingers won't work well for this, so what is the best alternative for this application? Ball bearing rollers?

No direct contact AT ALL.

Make a protective bushing. Run on the OD of that.

Done decently, it also serves double-duty as to resisting distortion out-of-round.

and maybe a drop or 2 of super glue to keep the bushing from spinning on the tube.

Tight for space, that or shellac. given heat and/or solvent removes either.

Gonna use it more than one part, more space, less f-f- time, yah saw-splits both edges, puts the two worm-gear hose clamps 180 degrees apart. Or makes a proper closer. Ignorant pipe threads can do that, tapered as they are.

One is not that limited on the OD of a steady bushing, small diameter the OP has, this case. Take as much space as it needs to do it well.

Like #3 above but I use a strip of sanding belt .Put the woven side next to part oil good .Set jaws with a center in tailstock.

I use steel shim stock with the thickness appropriate to the tube diameter (thinner for small tube). Make the length match the tube circumference, but leave a gap of a few thousandths. Hold the shim in place with a worm hose clamp. One clamp will usually work, but very thin shim may need a clamp on each side of the steady fingers. Oil the shim.

Steel shim has the advantages of being hard and of uniform thickness, assuring concentricity.

Larry

Back