What's new
What's new

Best steel material for 300 deg C

Madis Reivik

Hot Rolled
Hello !

We have to make some small washers which will work under spring load and the temperature will be cycled between room temp and 300 deg Celsius.
Brass washers did not work, spring end "ate" the washer

So perhaps stainless works better.

AISI304 or AISI316 or AISI316Ti ? I know that molten lead pumps are made of 316Ti, but here the load is lower.

spring is made of Inconel, force is small.

Thanks !

Hello !

We have to make some small washers which will work under spring load and the temperature will be cycled between room temp and 300 deg Celsius.
Brass washers did not work, spring end "ate" the washer

So perhaps stainless works better.

AISI304 or AISI316 or AISI316Ti ? I know that molten lead pumps are made of 316Ti, but here the load is lower.

spring is made of Inconel, force is small.

Thanks !

So how many and how LARGE? And what's wrong with Inconel on Inconel?

Or pre-fabbed ceramic disks, perhaps even stock items, off the shelf?

Or surplused molybdenum laser target disks, original mothership gone stale?

Thermite is correct, but the bigger issue is corrosion for a consideration. In that light I would favor 316, 316L and 316Ti because of the cost consideration over Inconel.

8mm with 3mm holes and little "collar" to keep spring in place

So 316 would be a good choice ?

Better info, but still not enough.

"Valving" or bleed-off action? Hot chemicals in the environment? Erosive flow through the holes or radially at significant velocity? Hammering/vibration part of the tasking?

Inconel spring might send the message that Inconel could also be justified for the warsher, pain in the arse or not?

See also use of Stellite for exhaust valve seats, IC engines. One more pain in the arse as had right grand "payback" to make it come good.

Stellite / Hastelloy might be another option?

What is the Difference Between Hastelloy(R) and Incoloy(R)? - Continental Steel & Tube Company

Call me metallurgically paranoid, but any of the "vanilla" Stainless alloys just whisper "too easy, won't last" where Inconel is already a significant player.

Time for a chat with the designer? Or more research if you BE he?

Back