What's new
What's new

Best stick lube for cutting aluminum?

richard newman

Titanium
Wondering what's the best stick lube for band sawing and milling aluminum?

I mostly cut 6061 T651, Mic6, up to 3" thick. I like the stick lube, much less mess for me in a wood shop, and easier on my skin. Been using a tube of Relton Stick-Kut for yrs, time to replace it, thought I'd ask if there's a better alternative.

Thanks
Richardb

edit - I use carbon steel and bi-metallic blades, carbide & hss endmills

Does DoAll still sell their branded stuff? That was the first stick lube I ever used. They had it at a place where I was working.

I've been using CUT-EASE for years in my home shop and it seems to work as well as the DoAll stuff.

I only recently purchased a stick of the LPS Tapmagic. I have been using it mostly at the drill presses and so far, it seems to be good. I was concerned about how it would work because it was a solid instead of a liquid which can penetrate into the crack between the cutting edge and the chip. But I quickly discovered that it melts from the heat generated and is a liquid after the cutting begins.

I will be trying it at the band saw next.

I have not used other brands so I can not provide any comparison.

I always heard good things about the LPS Tapmatic Edge lubes, they have one in a stick formation. https://www.amazon.com/LPS-43200-Tapmatic-Cutting-Fluid/dp/B000CDAVWC

I had a box of saw wax sticks about the size as polishing compound, I used the on a kaltenbach upstroke Ali saw, chucked them under a bench in a lock up I had, came back a week later the thing was gone, box as well, the rats had hot in and ate them!, they turned out to be tallow based, 25lbs of fat!
Mark

I use this:

Cut-Ease Cutting Lubricant, Stick, 1 lb - AGS Company

IO originally bought it for use on a cold saw when cutting 6061 square stock. Recently I had to cut an number of pieces of 5" 6061. It wouldn't fit in the cold saw so I used the horizontal bandsaw. It worked great. Mine might be in a little older tube. The printing on the side recommends it for use on aluminum, but doesn't say anything about plastics.

home shop harry here, but I use kerosene for cutting alu on the lathe and mill. Doesn't smell as nice as WD40 (I'd use that stuff for aftershave if my wife would let me) but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. Don't use anything on the bandsaw for alu as it tends to make the chips stick together and make a clumped up mess.

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems like there's no clear winner, probably go with the Tapmatic as McMaster carries it. I was hoping there was some new special sauce out there, never hurts to ask.

The bacon or lard would be tasty, but this building can have rodent problems, prefer not to share the shop with critters.

Back