What's new
What's new

Best way to ship 5.500 dia rings x .07 thick....2000pc?

tay2daizzo8

Hot Rolled
Like the title says...most of my stuff usually fits in a 12 x 12 box..parts are plated and tight tolerance so i have to wrap them as well(Any suggestions?) i feel foam would make the whole thing too bulky and i would end up with 50 boxes...so i was thinking paper bags?
im not opposed to a pallet but im afraid what will happen to it in browns hands(stacking/dropping/using as a plow to move other boxes)

thanks again

How far to ship? All to the same place? What do you mean .07 thick? Wall thickness and if so how long are they, or are they like a washer that is .07 thick with an unknown hole size in the middle? Pics? What material are they and how much do they weigh?

Can you fit them inside 6'' PVC drain pipe and use caps? or just discs of card & tape ..........quite cheap and very strong.

P.s. Offcuts and drops shouldn't be too hard to find

.070 thick aluminum.like big washers.i guess they are pretty light..but havent made them yet. shipping about 1800 miles.

i like the PVC idea, although it may be tricking getting them in there wrapped up.

the ID is a tad under 5.00"

I would buy some heavy wall PVC or so pipe with a 5.7"+ ID, then saw them to convenient lengths and plug end. Fill with rings, as paper wrapped groups, perhaps 30pcs/group, when full cap second end, go to next tube. Stack on pallet with proper banding and warning labels (including how to safely unpack).

[Edit: Damn you, Limy - must have sneaky Redcoat ancestors...]

I was thinking you could get boxes that are 6x6x18? or whatever length is easy to get in 6x6. And each piece gets wrapped in a paper maybe 14x14 (or bigger).Set washer in the middle and fold 2 opposite sides of the paper up over the top so they overlap then fold the two ends of that over, maybe on the backside to give a little more than one paper thickness. Then you have a square paper that should be 5 1/2" sq that will sit nice in the 6x6 box, stack them in until full. Might get 100 each box. Those boxes then go in another box or even a wood crate to ship by truck.

If they could be a little less protected, you get 5 3/4" squares of thick paper or thin packing foam. Just alternate foam, disc, foam, disc... until box is full. Foam is nice, you can compress it a little as the last few pieces go in so they are all held nice and snug in the box.

How about punching 5 inch holes in cardboard and alternating holed sheet with solid sheet? It would be reusable. You could squirt a bead of glue so each holed sheet is stuck to a solid sheet like a little 12x12 tray with 4 pockets.

Take a 6' pvc pipe. Cut it in half the long way. Cap one end and stack them like dishes. When it is full hose clamp on the other half and thee other cap.
See the link for ideas on how banks do it. You will have to make your own larger version. Remember a 5.5" diameter aluminum tube will be heavy. How do restaurants get plates packed and delivered from the factory
Bil lD

Coin Trays, Coin Cups, Organizers, Rolled Coin Storage Trays - U.S. Bank Supply (R)

Probably better to make a small crate for these. Unless I horked the math, they would be a 134” high stack, with no filler. Weight is going to be several hundred pounds.

this may be the easiest and more protective than paper bags.

great ideas here BTW

6" wide roll of 6 mil (or lighter) plastic bag-on-a-roll.
$50 impulse heat sealer (pay $5 extra for the one with the sliding cutter)

Adds .006 + .006 onto each .070 thick ring.

I've done this, and have a variety of tube-rolls standing by for use. .004" is plenty, and easier to fold over if desired.

I would definitely seal them in. The impulse sealer is just seconds to seal.
The brown Rugby team has a go at them and they come out of the folded bags, and it's game over.

I buy a lot of large spirolox rings from Smalley. They came in a "log". They stack them up tight and roll them in heavy butcher/VCI paper then tape to keep tight.

best way to ship 5.5 x .07 thick rings.

I would buy some heavy wall PVC or so pipe with a 5.7"+ ID, then saw them to convenient lengths and plug end. Fill with rings, as paper wrapped groups, perhaps 30pcs/group, when full cap second end, go to next tube. Stack on pallet with proper banding and warning labels (including how to safely unpack).

[Edit: Damn you, Limy - must have sneaky Redcoat ancestors...]

I like the PVC pipe idea; but instead of wrapping I think I would sandwich between circles of paper. Get a full stack in the pipe, tension with a circle of foam to keep them packed. BTW - think I would glue one endcap and use a threaded cap for the other. It might help to oil the paper. (?)
Loading the pipe is going to be a pain; maybe assemble a stack on bench, lower pipe over it, slide a steel sheet under it and invert the whole mess.
A bit of thinking can probably improve on this but as a first shot ....
Probably foam buffer on both ends....
Good luck.

Back