What's new
What's new

Best way to slice large diameter derlin

sputnikprecision

Aluminum
We are currently buying pre-cut POM round bar from 200mm to 120mm Diameter in slices of 18 or 30mm. We are being overcharged in weight plus the cutting charge. We do have a mechanical band saw which can handle as large as 300mm in our shop but I know cutting Derlin can be tricky as the blade can seize in the rod, apart from issues not going straight etc etc. Plastic may sound easy but it is not! We would need to cut hundreds every time so we need some sound advise not to get stuck.
Many thanks

I can't recall ever having issues sawing Delrin.
UHMW and Nylon yes, but not Delrin, it's harder.

Look for a used chop saw on Ebay that can handle that size. Maybe even an old band saw.
You'll recoup the money in no time.

second on having zero issues ever cutting Delrin. a decent blade should eat it plenty fine.

That large and if you must cut it dry you could have issues if you try hard enough. Nice blade get the feed right and as mentioned it is my favorite plastic. Worn out fine pitch blade, sure you can melt it.

I cut UHMW all the time on the band saw. Dont use coolant. Use high flow compressed air or even better get one of those cold blast bandsaw air coolant things that uses compressed air and a mechanical device to blow 10* air. You just have to keep the plastic from heating up. Make sure chips/strings are fully coming out and not back into the cut as that generates a lot of heat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chop saw with a SHARP carbide blade and air blast. Band saw would work but not my 1st choice. Table saw works well. Trick is sharp blade and coarse pitch regardless. If the blade has been used to cut metal, don't expect great results.

I'd use your existing saw BUT keep a NEW (as in brand spanking new aka - never used for anything other than plastic) coarse pitch blade especially for the plastic work, and run coolant.

IME&O Delrin / Acetal is the easiest of the lot to m/c

IME&O 2 a properly sharpened and set BS blade will cut plastic as straight as the machine.

FWIW I've had great success with Lenox Bimetal variable pitch blades.

Get a coarse say 4 tooth per inch skip tooth wood blade. Because the plastic cuts easily you get a large chip clogs the gullets and rubs. A skip tooth blade leaves room for the chip. These blades also do a great job in aluminum.

Many thanks guys! I had in mind to get a new band-saw blade with large pitch and wide offset teeth for clearing. I iwll give this a try as this will recoup the expenses in no time definitely....

Coarse pitch dedicated new blade, highest band speed, aggressive feed. Back feed off if chips clog the gullets. I would not use coolant. Check blade temp after the first cut. If chips clog the gullets the blade will get hot in a hurry. Maybe a shop vac to deal with swarf.
Blade life will only be a few years.

Back