Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bewildering Choice of Carbide Tip Lathe Tools

I’m relatively new to using replaceable carbide tip tooling on a lathe. A tool catalogue I have has 14 pages of tool holders and 34 pages of carbide inserts. The inserts are round, square, triangular, diamond shaped. Needless to say the choices are overwhelming to a hobbyist trying break into this tooling. Can anyone provide some general guidance on applications or direct me to a source that helps sort the field out.

Thank you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CNMG432….DNMG432…VNMG432. GOOD BASIC INSERTS for most all applications. Buy a couple of grades which allow the greatest range of materials used. You can order inserts specific to the types of metals you work. Buy boxes never get too few.
    You must have inserts to cut and will always need them they break and wear out.

This is a adequate starting point for general lathe work. They are OD turning inserts. There are many inserts with different chip breakers and various grades of carbide. These basic destinations will have types which vary depending on the material to be turned.

ID tooling can be the same yet using boring bars. You want the chips to break rather than string up. Be careful if you do not know how to run a lathe as they will injure and kill. Wear safety glasses of good quality do not risk your eyes. Do not use long sleeves as they catch and will pull you into the machine.

Long hair tie it back out of the way or cut it all off.

3. Likes boosted liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This could be the guide you seek:

Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe: A User Guide Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe: A User Guide: Best, David P.: 9798713564643: Amazon.com: Books

No relation. I haven’t read it. A lot of the hobby guys seem to love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a hobbyist as well I get by with hss mostly. To try and and find out what worked best for a relatively small lathe I got a set of 8 or 10 ccmt holders(left and right, boring bar, facing etc.) These are sold at stores that cater to hobbyists and model engineers. Usually supplied with a general purpose insert. I am sure that they will not hold up if compared to professional quality tooling, but for a hobby they work well enough and do not break the bank. I added inserts for aluminium later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the manual lathe, the most common turning carbide insert tool I use is a Kennematal NKLCL-0805V (left) & NKLCR-0805V (right) with uncoated NPL 51 K68 inserts (trapezoidal with two cutting edges). These are *uncoated*, almost polished and very sharp, and can be had in different tip radii. They're all-purpose "profiling" inserts, so can turn up to a face, face, profile etc, and do anything from delicate work to pretty good hogging. There are also boring bars that accept that insert (not for small diameters). Holders and inserts can be found on ebay at reasonable prices. They work well on everything from stainless to aluminum. Otherwise I don't use a lot of carbide, just some small boring bars, custom ground brazed tools, threading occasionally, etc. On low-power manual machines, sharp, uncoated polished inserts tend to work best. Learn how to grind and hone HSS cutters, they're also useful and a necessity on a manual lathe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This chart is helpful when you need to decode and insert or understand its geometry.

www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be careful. I bought some cheap inserts and holders from China on the bay and later realized they are for 55 degree threads not 60 degree.
    Price inserts before buying the holder
    Bill D

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thTool View Post
    The inserts are round, square, triangular, diamond shaped. Needless to say the choices are overwhelming ...
    Triangles probably make the most sense for you.

There, that cuts it down a little

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In theory a round insert has a infinite number of cutting edges for general rounding work. Wear out the cutting edge and rotate a fraction of a degree and voila! a new fresh edge is presented to the work.
    Bill D

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    In theory a round insert has a infinite number of cutting edges for general rounding work.
    They also chatter like a mofo unless you have a lot of mass and hp and push them, and they won't go into corners.

For this person, I'll stick with recommending triangles ...

12. Likes Terry Keeley, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't state what size lathe you are using. After years of using carbide on large lathes, I have found that HSS in a tangential holder works best for my South Bend 9, and Rockwell 11. Not to mention cheaper.

14. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My lathe is a Hardinge HLV. At present my operations are turning and boring mostly of aluminum, carbon steel, and occasionally SSTL. I’m using HSS tools to perfect my external threading skills. I perform roughing but would like to learn/tool for smooth finishes as well. As a hobbyist, of course I have a limited budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know how I deal with the insane plethora of inserts as a professional..

I pick up the phone..

"Hey Curtis.. Send me something that does XYZ".. It shows up on my doorstep and it works, and I don't get raked over the coals.

Curtis even has some cool little kits for the home shop guys.. And its the same stuff I use that WORKS.

HOBBY LATHE KIT

Trying to figure it out by yourself, is JUST NOT WORTH IT..

Every time you buy a tool, or an insert, a portion of that money is for TECH SUPPORT.. USE IT!!!!!
    You are paying for it.. USE IT..

You'll pull your hair trying to figure it all out, its just ridiculous. I tried when I was new in this game.
    I failed spectacularly.. There is just TOO MUCH!!! Let the people that KNOW this stuff pick your inserts.. Its really that easy, and weather You pick it, or They pick it.. You're paying for them anyways, might as well use their expertise.

17. Likes richard newman, Cole2534 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bobw, good point! Does anyone see anything wrong with import tooling for the hobbyists? If I choose it, what will I be disappointed with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    You know how I deal with the insane plethora of inserts as a professional..

I pick up the phone..

"Hey Curtis.. Send me something that does XYZ".. It shows up on my doorstep and it works, and I don't get raked over the coals.

Curtis even has some cool little kits for the home shop guys.. And its the same stuff I use that WORKS.

HOBBY LATHE KIT

Trying to figure it out by yourself, is JUST NOT WORTH IT..
    Yup. And he remembers I like boats, so we talk about those too.

Programmed via Mazatrol

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my Monarch ee which generally comes under the "light lathe" catagory I went to Carbide Depot and bought the high positive 332 (3/8 inscribed circle size ie SMALL) WNMG brand name inserts.

They will fit both left and right handed boring bars and R/L turning tools. This should cover 90% of your carbide needs with one insert.

The high positive WNMG has 6 cutting edges making it a screaming deal, providing you don't break the insert and crack the seat. Stick with one maker on the holders so they share common seats (shims), pins, clamps and screws. And have at least one back up's on those too.

As a home gamer, learn to properly grind efficient HSS tooling. Understanding tool geometry should be a basic skillset. Check out some of the older texts from the era when HSS was king. The Henry Ford manual from WWII is a good start: it unlike the Southbend "how to run a lathe" text was intended for first year apprentices rather than "that guy" with a lathe and drill press in his garage.