What's new
What's new

Bijur Drive Bushings?

Scuffy

Aluminum
As a quick disclaimer I did cross post this on a couple groups that hang around on FB in hopes that saturating every angle possible may yield more chances of finding folks that would have tidbits of info...

Despite not having much time lately I was finally able to get the Bijur check valves, compression fittings, 3/32 copper line and most components installed in the Fray mill. Before I button things up and get the table back in place I wanted to ask about the drive bushings. When replacing the other parts in the system I was able to easily pull the 3/32 line from the existing drive bushings. They didn't seen to act as compression fittings and most of them certainly weren't crimped onto the the tubing. Is this an indication of prior tampering or is the fit supposed to be a bit loose? The flange at either end of the saddle for the X axis screw has the lines coming in from the top and dripping down onto the screw. But the bushings dedicated to the ways come up from underneath. Those are the ones I question. If the copper tubing is loose then it would seem to me that nothing would prevent the way oil from making it's way back down, between the bushing and tubing, taking up residence in the saddle or puddling somewhere.

When I talked to the rep at Bijur about this she said she'd talk to her guy in "Applications". When I heard back from her all she could say was "Well there really isn't any information here on installing them. You just kinda tap them into place I guess." Nothing more.

So does anyone know what type of a fit I should be looking at when it comes to these bushings? If I can't rely on Bijur to tell me... I'm afraid this is one of those tidbits lost to time. Ugh.

121785183_10223072209691050_3901205153628672593_o.jpg

122164603_10223072207650999_5458431125357406537_o.jpg

And yes- I have some touch ups to do where some idiot spilled a bunch of acetone that didn't have a cap tight on it.... (Geeeee I wonder who that was?) Sure enough it loves to do what it was intended to do- dissolve all your hard work!

I have the tool for driving the bushing into the hole. In theory, it's supposed to be tight fit when originally installed. But the soft copper tubing gives out and over time will loosen up. As long as the tubing stays in place I wouldn't worry about it. If the tubing won't stay in place may have to put a dab of Loctite on the joint after installing and call it good. You could squash the tube slightly and install. The few I've messed with, I manage to massage the tubing to keep it in place. Ken

EDIT: Just remembered, there is a special tapered reamer that was used to ream the hole out for that bushing. Bijur made two different styles of that bushing from what I remember.

As a quick disclaimer I did cross post this on a couple groups that hang around on FB in hopes that saturating every angle possible may yield more chances of finding folks that would have tidbits of info...

Linky's ?

Other answers ?

The Manual Machinist

But it doesn't appear to have yielded much. The others have no responses at all. Delete those and make the posts again to keep them current and at the tops of the lists. It surprises me that there aren't more people that have experience with Bijur components.

Scuffy,

One reason that many don't know anything about this component is, it's been obsolete for nearly 45 years. It was almost obsolete when dad taught me how it worked and to install it back then. In my collection of Bijur stuff I may have one or two of them bushings left. I only recall using a couple way back in time on one of the machines we had then. Since then, never had a need for them. Ken

Back