What's new
What's new

Black Diamond Drill Grinder Questions

I have a Black Diamond Drill Grinder, 3/4" drill capacity. It is the one with 5 setting fixtures on top of the motor. Each fixture has a label with the size range of that fixture. 4 out of 5 on mine are illegible, does anyone know the size ranges? I have the point splitter fixture as well but the grinding wheel is rooted on the corner I need to use it. Is it supposed to be a square corner OD to the side where the cutting edges are sharpened? I would think that is how it should be.

My Black Diamond is a bit different than yours. Rather than 5 separate locators it has a single locator and 5 different locating points on a turret. However I think the same principals apply. Here are a some photos of the locator and the chart as to which size drills use which locating points.

IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Mine is the newest setup with (3) 5 position turrets, but the size ranges for the "normal drills" turret are the same as projectnut posted, so the 5 separate presetter version should be the same too.

And yep, the grinding wheel should come to a sharp (or very close to it) corner if you want to use the point splitting. My wheel is a CBN plated wheel. The OD isn't square with the face of the wheel, it's something like 5° or 10° more obtuse than a square corner. Does your machine have the dresser for the wheel O.D.? Not all came with that one. If not you'll have to do it with a diamond. I recommend a flat wide multi-diamond for the O.D. We had a Black Diamond machine at one of the shops I worked in with no O.D. dresser, I made one from a multi diamond dresser and an old screwdriver handle. Worked a treat.

You probably have a model 3B, do your bushings start at 1/4" or 1/8"?

I kept 2 of the locators off a 3B plus the holder and splitter to add to my 1B and they're marked 3/8"-1/2" and 1/2"-3/4". These are probably the two on the RHS of your unit.

full

full

You can check the locators as well for the other 3:

full

Mine came with an old style "Type 99" wheel but I got a new style from them that has about a 70* point and finer grit on the outside for splitting.

edit: Kretz beat me to it, I'm sure they're the same...

Thanks for the help guys. I used my label maker on the setting jigs and when I get round to it I'll dress the OD of the wheel to get a sharp edge again and try out the point splitter.

Back