What's new
What's new

Blanchard Grinding in New England?

steamandsteel

Aluminum
Hello,

Not sure if this is a General or Abrasives topic,

Coastal ME/NH/MA - Looking to have a small cast iron surface plate/table (30" x 48") reground, along with the bed of a Johnson Model J bandsaw (approx 16" x 36")

I have had a bit of trouble trying to locate someone in the area that does this sort of work. I'm certain with all the industry in the area, there's got to be some big old shop that does this, or someone that does this on the side. Maybe they're just not online.

No insane tolerances here. Just fairly flat.

Thank you in Advance,

I have a friend that works at A&M Tool and die in Southbridge,MA. He was able to blanchard grind an 18" X 24" plate for me. I'm not entirely sure if they take in small jobs like that, since he did it on his own time after work. But it's worth a shot to contact them and see if they will do it for you, I at least know they have the capability to do it.
Eric

A little outside your target area, but Unas Grinding in E. Hartford CT used to do all our large bolster plates, which were essentially all custom one-offs. Great quality. Work was always on time and well within tolerance. Good capacity in both Blanchard and Surface Grinding.

In Maine, Millinocket Fab (in, where else, Millinocket) has blanchard grinding, but that's not quite coastal.

In NH, Quality Flame/American Steel has blanchard, but I'm guessing they wouldn't do your part. They farmed some of my blanchard parts out to a shop down in Worcester (?) when the parts were too big for them. You might ask Dave who it is.

In Mass, there are a bunch, but I can't think of any names off the top of my head.

I know Starrett has Blanchard grinders. I dont know if they would help out but it wouldnt hurt to ask.

There is quite a bit of industry out here. I am sure you will find someone. Good Luck!

Maine Machine in South Paris (not coastal) has a small Blanchard grinder, may give them a shout. Not sure if he's still there, but a few yrs ago I had contacted Dan Landry there in regards to a Blanchard grinding project I had. I don't really recall the size of the table, 3-4ft I'm loosely recalling, maybe bigger.

Blanchard may not be flat enough without scraping. If you are going to scrape it, tell them not to spark it out completely. The top will get a polish that is hard to get a bite on using a scraper. You want a little rougher surface to scrape.

D S Greene Water Street Wakefield, MA. They have a big Blanchard grinder.
Have used them and I can recommend them.

Awesome, thank you. I’m not looking for any sort of a crazy tolerance flat surface. Just smooth and all on the same plane preferably. There could be small ridges / grooves and I probably wouldn’t care.

Back