What's new
What's new

Blank 5C emergency collet?

Terry Keeley

Titanium
Try the term "Plug chuck" from Hardinge. I have one next to me that was purchased off the shelf. Mine has an extended nose but I think they are available in standard 5C configuration. The one in hand is only a 1/4 longer than standard but maybe I faced it off.

Looked on the shelf and found 3 more that have been modified and one that is untouched. No part number on the container just "plug chuck" looks like they were all 1 3/4 longer than standard originally.

The Hardinge 5C plug chucks are ideal for making new arbors for the Swiss type JF lathe chucks. Those are the various diameter thin 3-jaw, 6-jaw or 8-jaw chucks that have knurled rings for tightening. I have bought some used chucks on eBay that led hard lives in some industrial applications so that the OEM Swiss-made 5C arbors were trashed. And I have bought other chucks that had no arbor because the seller kept the W12 or W20 arbors they came with.

Plug chucks can also be made into end mill holders or slitting saw arbors. Hardinge TM and UM milling machines have 5C spindles and the old factory-made 5C mill tooling is very rare.

From 2015 to 2017, I bought some Hardinge collets and 4C and 5C plug chucks on Amazon, but they are no longer available there. I have bought others on eBay. Hardinge does sell direct and I bought some from them some decades ago.
Hardinge 5C Plug Chuck with 1-3/4" Extended Nose Length and No Pilot Hole: Workholding Collets: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Hardinge 4C Plug Chuck: Workholding Collets: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Larry

Hardinge makes 5C fixture plates in various sizes, but they are expensive compared to others.

I have a shelf full of 5C fixture plates I have not yet used. I have used some of them to mount Buck 4" 6-jaw Ajust-Tru chucks that I have used a lot over the decades. I recall that I first bought some about 40 years ago from a USA (not Hardinge; might have been Welch) maker who closed them out. Then I got a few that are marked Made in Japan from one of the mail order mill supply houses. I think the last one I bought, within a year or two, has a stock label from MSC, but I don't know where they get them. For years, Shars on eBay has had several sizes for prices that seem reasonable for Chinese goods. I have not bought one from Shars. All of the ones I have seem to be acceptable quality except one. I bought a couple on eBay with no clue who made them and one turned out to have the keyway milled out of perpendicular to the long axis of the shank, so that it would not fit into a Hardinge spindle. It was easy enough to redo the slot, which is just for clearance.

Larry

Hardinge makes 5C fixture plates in various sizes, but they are expensive compared to others.

I have a shelf full of 5C fixture plates I have not yet used. I have used some of them to mount Buck 4" 6-jaw Ajust-Tru chucks that I have used a lot over the decades. I recall that I first bought some about 40 years ago from a USA (not Hardinge; might have been Welch) maker who closed them out. Then I got a few that are marked Made in Japan from one of the mail order mill supply houses. I think the last one I bought, within a year or two, has a stock label from MSC, but I don't know where they get them. For years, Shars on eBay has had several sizes for prices that seem reasonable for Chinese goods. I have not bought one from Shars. All of the ones I have seem to be acceptable quality except one. I bought a couple on eBay with no clue who made them and one turned out to have the keyway milled out of perpendicular to the long axis of the shank, so that it would not fit into a Hardinge spindle. It was easy enough to redo the slot, which is just for clearance.

Larry

"5C fixture plate", thanks Larry, that turned up a bunch of hits.

You could call them to see if can help you , they can't put everything on the internet if they have millions of prints .

Thanks, I actually snagged this one:

Interstate 09747221 5C Collet Fixture Mount 2" x 2" | eBay

Wish he had more, they're $82 at MSC.

"Interstate" is a made-up brand name used in tool catalogs to pretend that no-name Chinese or other goods have a (possibly American) name. I recall getting fooled by that trick over forty years ago, so it is an old trick. I wrote a letter to the tool company (Production Tool Supply or maybe Manhattan Supply Co.) and asked for more information on that Interstate Company. They never answered, but I eventually figured it out

You can expect Interstate to be more or less equivalent in quality to Shars.

Larry

I did get a reply back from Hardinge, they're still made but are all only 1.750" deep, I need 2".

If Eagle Rock are "Oldsmobile. Maybe Buick. Not Cadillac/Hardinge", they sure are Cadillac priced at $120. Shars for my size is $25.

BTW, if you look up "Eagle Rock Technologies" address it shows a very nice house in Bath, PA:

Google Maps

Harbor Fright call all they're chit "Pittsburg", do people actually think their crap is made there?

I'm hoping "Interstate" are at least Taiwan, MSC specs the runout at 0.002".

Getting harder and harder to find quality tooling these days, rant over, thanks guys.

Back