What's new
What's new

Blast Cabinet Help

Joedirt13

Plastic
Seen some topics on this but I have a Snap-On blast cabinet that I would like to get up and working properly. Issue I am running into right now is media clumps up and gets stuck at the top of the rubber hose that leads into the gun, and it just blows air instead of media. I used to be able to stick my hand over the front of the nozzle and apply some back pressure and that would usually clear it up but that doesn’t seem to be working anymore. I end up having to remove the rubber hose dump out the media that is stuck just to have it work for 2 seconds and the same thing happen again. I have switched out the media and the jet on the gun it’s just a skat blast gun, that didn’t do anything. Didn’t know if the nozzle could need to be replaced I know these things take a beating over time but didn’t think it would lead to the media getting backed up in my rubber tube. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance,
Joe

Is the media clumped together when you clear it from the hose like it is picking up moisture? Also check the return system for holes that would reduce its ability to pull a vacuum. I replaced the flexible hose on mine using rubber air intake manifold elbows and tubing. Couldn’t believe the difference it made sealing up all the leaks and smoothing out that return line.

Seen some topics on this but I have a Snap-On blast cabinet that I would like to get up and working properly. Issue I am running into right now is media clumps up and gets stuck at the top of the rubber hose that leads into the gun, and it just blows air instead of media. I used to be able to stick my hand over the front of the nozzle and apply some back pressure and that would usually clear it up but that doesn’t seem to be working anymore. I end up having to remove the rubber hose dump out the media that is stuck just to have it work for 2 seconds and the same thing happen again. I have switched out the media and the jet on the gun it’s just a skat blast gun, that didn’t do anything. Didn’t know if the nozzle could need to be replaced I know these things take a beating over time but didn’t think it would lead to the media getting backed up in my rubber tube. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance,
Joe

Pull the siphon hose off and put your finger over it, check for a vacuum when you press the peddle, if you don’t have a vacuum check the gun assembly for wear......these Skatblast guns are of poor quality and typically don’t last long!

Get a Trinco gun, well worth the money!

Home - Trinco Trinity Tool Co.

Kevin

I don’t think it has a return system all it has is the rubber hose leading into the gun from the bottom of the cabinet that picks up the media and then the air line that supply’s the air power. I do have an IR air dryer I just need to do a better job of remembering to always turn it on when I’m blasting. I don’t think it is really clumped together but I will double check and do the check with the siphon hose next time I am at the shop. Any idea on the price for one of those guns, didn’t see a price on there website, just list of part #s. Thanks for the help guys.
Joe

Thanks Kevin, so all I should need is that suction gun and then the nozzle to go with it and then that should give me everything I need to replace my current gun? The pricing isn’t bad should be able to replace everything for under $75 bucks including shipping if I am understanding it correctly. I have a 18 CFM IR air compressor so the 2-00061 would make the most sense correct ?

Thanks Kevin, so all I should need is that suction gun and then the nozzle to go with it and then that should give me everything I need to replace my current gun? The pricing isn’t bad should be able to replace everything for under $75 bucks including shipping if I am understanding it correctly. I have a 18 CFM IR air compressor so the 2-00061 would make the most sense correct ?

I would call Trinco and ask, I think if you use the higher CFM gun it will carry more media and would work faster......I don’t remember when I bought mine from MSC if it was complete, I ordered extra nozzles on the same order?

With the smaller compressor, you just have to pace yourself so you don’t put to much of a load on it!

If I remember correctly you will only need 80 psi. for the sandblaster.

Hope that helps?

Kevin

Yep, humidity or wet air. If the media is dry it flows like water.

You need heat in the media hopper. Used to be you could plant a 40 Watt light bulb in the media but LED bulbs don't put out much heat. Anyway, some heat to the media hopper and a good moisture trap. Better yet, add a desiccant air dryer in the blast cabinet air line after the trap.

BTW, air dryers don't last forever. You have to recharge them.

Bl;ow down your air receiver regularly?

Leave the cabinet light on for a few hours before you use it, this will help dry out your media.

Incandescents are your friend in a blast cabinet!

I have two, 200 watt bulbs in my snap-on cabinet.

Back