What's new
What's new

Bleach on Stainless Steel. What happens?

neilho

Titanium
I have some 304SS aerators that get clogged with bacteria occasionally and have been dousing them in bleach. Works great to kill bacteria and clear the pores, but also produces something that looks like rust.

The intertubes says it's a nono, but as usual doesn't say why. Anyone here have experience with this?

it is an oxidiser with an acid salt. Acid eats the passivated layer allowing the salt to react to the iron and causing it to rust.

chemical name is sodium hypochlorite. also not 100% sure but probably something to do with the negatively charged ions of oxygen.

There is no acid present. Bleach is a basic solution. The Chloride ions are very destructive to all stainless materials forming metal chlorides as they react.

This is sort of interesting, it was an experiment I did whilst studying metallurgy a long time ago, 2 beakers salt water, 2 bits of stainless steel plate, about 1/8”, an elastic aka rubber band was put round one plate, pretty tight, the other without, the plates were dumped in the beakers and left.
They were checked weekly, the elastic band proceeded to cut its way through the plate, at quite a fair speed, I think the message stuck, disrupting the oxide film causes crevice corrosion, beware!
The hypo stripped the oxide result, corrosion, there is iron in stainless
Mark

passivization eats the top layer of material away, low enough solution that it does take of a few um of material to clean the surface, then washed away within hours it rebuilds the chromium oxide layer protecting the iron underneath.

that's why you need to neutralize the solution applied of hydro flouric acid and nitric acid mix or it will continue to corrode afterwards.

Great article, thanks for the post. Suggests NaDCC, a chlorine based non corrosive alternative to bleach, too.

Also discovered that boiling the aerators in water is a good way to kill bacteria, too. Doh! :D

I used to work in pharmaceutical manufacturing. We had some problems with stainless rusting (304 and 316) when processing certain formulations. It was determined to be chlorine. For good chlorine resistance we had some of the equipment made of hastelloy and problem solved.

I'm no expert on stainless but from what I've read you can buy stainless that is corrosion resistant, wear resistant, and a lot of other qualities. I think if you look you can find the right kind that won't have that problem.

This something salt water boat owners know. Stainless does not work well in salt water because of the free cloride ions. Use navel bronze or similar instead. Think propellers on ocean going ships.

Tom

From direct experience we had entire SS strainers in a tank eaten and nearly gone after filling the tank with bleach and setting for a week. These were probably 1/8" thick drilled plates. Another time we dropped hex nuts into bleached filled SS catch pans as we took hydrazine lines apart. Over night (or maybe a weekend) some of the nuts sunk through the pans making hex shaped holes.

Back