What's new
What's new

Boeshield T9 between vise and table

PT Doc

Cast Iron
New DX6 is going on new 12x54 table. I haven't used T9 yet but have some if it’s a recommended application. Their site says to spray on then wipe off for immediate use. Sounds like it could be an appropriate use. I thought I’d ask here and hopefully get some first hand info.
Thanks in advance

I have used Boesheild on Cabinet saws screws , planer chains and sprockets and other tools that need a dry lubrication that does not attract fine dust. I'm satisfied with it and been using it for about 20 years.
I spray it on, do not wipe it off.
mike

T-9 is great for rust prevention, BUT it leaves a thin waxy film that is great catching dust especially when the smaller chain hydrocarbons are flashing off. Not that regular oils don't but T-9 seems to catch debris much better.
Why guess call up the manufacturer what do they recommend??
In back of mind (Which ain't far from the front.) I'm thinking wrong lube used = reason to void a warrantee.

I haven't found anything* that will protect between vise and table for very long term. Best remedy is to remove, clean and replace the vise periodically.

*assuming you will be using coolant...

Last edited:
I move vises on & off tables fairly often, and have kept the mating surfaces coated with the same everyday film of what digger calls loob that I try to maintain on all metal equipment surfaces. I don't add anything special like T9. I do however slide a piece of paper cut to roughly the dimensions of the vise base in between the vise and the table. The paper seems to me to add a measure of antiskid friction. I use flat white paper that is just a bit toothy. I don't go out of my way to save the paper between mountings because it does not stand up particularly well to mist coolant.

Just what I do, and not anything I would defend as critical.

-Marty-

I have had good luck with just using general purpose grease. Some vices have been on the table for as long as 6-8 months and table looks good when the vices are removed.

I move vises on & off tables fairly often, and have kept the mating surfaces coated with the same everyday film of what digger calls loob that I try to maintain on all metal equipment surfaces. I don't add anything special like T9. I do however slide a piece of paper cut to roughly the dimensions of the vise base in between the vise and the table. The paper seems to me to add a measure of antiskid friction. I use flat white paper that is just a bit toothy. I don't go out of my way to save the paper between mountings because it does not stand up particularly well to mist coolant.

Just what I do, and not anything I would defend as critical.

-Marty-

What Marty said since the paper increases the coefficient of friction by about a factor of 2. I have found that the additional benefit of the paper (I just rob the copy machine of a sheet) is that it acts like a gasket and will hold onto way-oil liberally applied to it prior to mounting the vise. That has been nearly 100 percent effective in preventing rust. And an additional benefit of the oil is that way-oil actually helps lock the vice to the table. The oil-locking idea was brought up here in 2012 by POAx in 2012. Though he was initially ridiculed, if you read through the thread his idea was substantiated in post 13 of that thread A way to reduce chatter and vibrations.

Just for grins try applying the oil and paper between the vise and table and then tighten up the mounting bolts. Now loosen the bolts then try to lift the vise off the table. If your vise base is in good condition and your table is as well, you will find that you have to slide the vise off the table as the oil does not let air under the vise and it is tightly stuck to the table preventing a vertical lift.

Denis

...especially missed--wax sticks directly applied to bandsaw, hacksaw blades

I don't know if you meant that those sticks were Boeshield-based, but I do recall them, or similar ones. When I used to make the rounds of the machine shops in Detroit, places like Production Tool, some of them had such sticks out in bins, and you would just grab a couple, free for the taking. One was a paper-wrapped stick about 4"L .5" dia marked "Tap-Ease Metal Cutting Lubricant". I have to say though that I don't miss them. I found them to leave a gummy, sticky residue, and I used to accidently circumsize the whole stick when applying to a bandsaw blade.

-Marty-

...Just for grins try applying the oil and paper between the vise and table and then tighten up the mounting bolts. Now loosen the bolts then try to lift the vise off the table. If your vise base is in good condition and your table is as well, you will find that you have to slide the vise off the table as the oil does not let air under the vise and it is tightly stuck to the table preventing a vertical lift.
Denis

My experience as well.

-Marty-

Back