What's new
What's new

Bolt material to bolt aluminum hinge to aluminum plate, outdoors

Bill D

Diamond
I bought some aluminum storage cabinets I will use outdoors. I was told it is aircraft aluminum from a helicopter factory. One aluminum piano hinge popped a few welds and I should bolt it on. I can not weld it.
What material should the nuts & bolts be. Probably use #10 so not galavanized. Would stainless be a bad idea?
Bill D.

it works on boats because the rivets have very little surface area compared to aluminum it is galvanically coupled, the amount of corrosion due to incompatibility of these 2 is spread over a large area, hence the illusion of it being ok

zinc plated regular steel would be better, but, as already suggested, if aluminum rivet can hold it - use that, that being said - even is you'll use stainless - it won't fall off in couple months and will probably be fine for quite a long while

I build aluminum racks and we offer stainless hardware as an upgrade.

Stainless hardware gets noticeable white galvanic corrosion after a year or two in the elements. The typical yellow zinc chromate coating on grade 8 bolts corrodes far less in the same time.

Aluminum bolts exist and I've used them and I hate them but they do work.

As already said, stainless steel or use aluminum pop rivets.

The latter are more tamper resistant so if you use screws use a prevailing torque nut (can be Nylock) on the inside.

As already said, stainless steel or use aluminum pop rivets.

The latter are more tamper resistant so if you use screws use a prevailing torque nut (can be Nylock) on the inside.

He is in Modesto, they will take the whole cabinet and open it elsewhere, you never see a tweeker with a leatherman

I vote for the ease of the pop rivets

Back