What's new
What's new

Bond ultem 1000/PEI?

This is for anyone who has actual experience.
I’ve been googling for a couple days, and have an inquiry out to 3M, have reviewed the data on Loctite’s pdfs.

I’d like to adhere ultem 1000 to wood, & possibly later to metal (17-4)

Epoxy is mentioned - is a common epoxy like WEST likely to be useful?
There seem to be references to urethanes, can’t tell whether that is opportunistic search engines or if, say “gorilla glue” etc would have any merit?

Cyanoacrylics cause crazing or failure? Or they just don’t bond?

So far Loctite 414 seems most likely, if it can be found rEasonably priced in small quantity. I have no qualms sourcing “good stuff” if it has a reasonable shelf life unless more common products serve well.

Thanks!

smt

I can share the Loctite 609 does NOT work. I have attempted to use it to hold a bearing in a pocket, and have experienced cracking of the ultem. Something in the 609 causes brittleness, similar to how MEK does. I imagine that CA will not work with wood due to the porosity. I'd give West System a try. What are the electrical and mechanical properties that you are looking for? FYI, I posted a similar question a couple of years ago and got zero responses as you probably found through search...

I've done it using methylene chloride to solvent bond it to itself, but that was 25+ years ago... Much harder to find now due to the toxic/cancer thing. You are probably going to need some sort of primer, and methylene chloride may be a part of it... You can try Lord Corp also for questions on bonding and primers.

I would suggest give Ellsworth Adhesives a call, if it can be glued they will know what you need and how to use it.

i'm pretty sure you can weld that stuff. you don't state your application....but it may be possible to glue
a different thermoplastic to the base material with the ultem ultrasonically welded to that . having an
intermediate material might not be practical for your purpose.

Back