What's new
What's new

Bonding HDPE to HDPE

David J.

Cast Iron
Does anybody know of a adhesive that will glue/bond HDPE?
I've not found anything.
This is a very small quantity part.
Do not want to be able to take it apart, would be open to 2 sided
tape also if not too thick.
Thanks
David

Look into 3M VHB (double sided tape). They have verstions specifically for low surface energy plastics like HDPE. You can get it without any "foam" layer in between - if I recall correctly, the no-foam version is called adhesive transfer tape. It takes a little while after application to reach full bond strength.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...bonding-to-low-surface-energy-white-paper.pdf

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with 3M other than I've spec'd in and used some of their products with great success.

My experience is nil with this product, but a quick Google search...

Loctite Plastics Bonding System from Loctite Adhesives

LocTite usually doesn't make overblown claims for performance. There are a number of solutions that various companies have produced over the years, and most of them do require some surface prep such as etching or activator application prior to bonding. You could also look at 3M's VHB tape products.

HDPE is a low surface energy plastic, which makes it hard to bond. You can either treat the surface (e.g. with plasma) or use an adhesive that is designed for it.

When I last researched this, 3M was the best option. They make two liquid acrylics, DP8005 and DP8010, as well as the VHB that Bellinghamster mentioned. I've used 8005 for bonding LDPE and it worked well.

As mentioned above, HDPE is very difficult to bond, being a low surface energy material. Also as mentioned, Loctite makes several products that might be useful. In addition to their Plastic Bonding Solution mentioned by specfab, search for the PRISM family of bonding products, such as 401,406, 431, 438, etc. The product literature for this family might help you decide if they are suitable for your eeds.

Good luck,
Michael

i have used the 3M DP8005 for PP to PC and it works well but when you do break the bond it bond fails and not the materia. Hot air or Hot plate welding is an option, can be done automatically or just on a griddle. I have seen fittings butt welded together by holding both sides against an electric pancake griddle then pressing them together.

Just the other night, I broke my toothbrush in half
while brushing my teeth. I was not pressing too hard
as I know it can ruin my gums. The bristles were still
good, not folded over, as they get.
So I lit both ends of the broken handle on fire with a
torch flame. I pushed the plastic burning handle ends
together, and blew out the flame. I held them in alignment
as it cooled. Before it was completely cool, I took some
spit on my finger (so I would not get burned) and I smoothed
the plastic around the joint, kind of smooshing it flat and
shaping it a little. After that I ran it under some cold
water to set it. Been using it for a few days, and the
repaired plastic joint on the handle is holding wonderful.
I think my toothbrush is 1/4" shorter for it, but no worries.

--Doozer

The 3M tape looks like a possibility. Mcmaster Carr has it, I'm going to order
a small roll and try it.
Heat option remains open if the tape ends up lacking.
Thanks
David

I just did a little research and it appears that HDPE is not resistant to naptha (lighter fluid). You might try welding it by treating the two surfaces and joining them until the solvent evaporates, which might be a while because it's not hugely volatile. Perhaps a low temp bake would force the solvent out.

i doubt that naptha will have any effect.

John is absolutely right acetone will not affect it either unless you completely immerse the part in acetone and leave it. You have not given us an idea what this part looks like perhaps you need a living hinge to solve your problem.

I used some polymorph sometimes called instamorph to plug a hole in the bottom of a #2 HDPE 55gal bucket I'm making a self watering garden out of.

It really sticks good to it but I have to admit my plug is shaped so that it is spindle shaped in the hole so the plug probably wouldn't even care if it wasn't bonded correctly.

I plan on coating it with some Neoprene epoxy so the Polymorph doesn't biodegrade from moisture.

Some of the plastic on the surface that I didn't scarify couldn't be pealed off by hand but it did come off easily when I pried at it with some clippers.

I have used this 3M product for several applications Including what it is specifically for. I get it at the auto parts store.adhesive.jpg

I've used 3M 2216 to glue Teflon to stuff. (I was going to type polytetrafluoroethylene but couldn't remember how to spell it). If it sticks to teflon it'll likely stick to most anything, but you could ask the folks at 3M for specific advice.

--Doozer

Repair technique for the zombie apocalypse? :D

Actually, good to know in case something plastic breaks during a holiday or other time when going out to buy a replacement is not convenient.

--Doozer

Damn, you out-cheaped me! I might wear my workshirts till the collar is worn off, but I can afford a new tooth brush once every 10 years or so :D

Back