What's new
What's new

Book recommendations for steel roof and siding?

bmikkalson

Hot Rolled
Hi, thinking of building a small pole building , looking for info on working with steel corrugated panels .

How to bend around doors screw placement , etc.

Thanks,
No, I’m not going to hire it out. Want DIY

You need a designer to do your building safely, some things ( not all ) are wind loads on the sheet, span of the sheet on the purlins, span of the purlins, design of the truss etc.
Also you have to be able to walk on the roof without the roofing caving in.
Loads on the roof if your in the snow area can be large, if your in a sunny area you may want to put solar panels on the roof, those are just a few things to consider.

Also you have to be able to walk on the roof without the roofing caving in.
I was fairly boggled when the small crew that put up my pole structure shop finished off the last open corner of the roof while sitting and walking around on the roof, pulling the final sheets up through the unfinished hole. 13 feet up at the eaves.

You are going to need at least one helper for a lot of this stuff. Two guys could probably do most of the work, but one guy working alone (especially if this is the first such project you're attempting) is going to suffer major grief and probably damage a bunch of material.

My guys did have the use of the supply truck delivery crane, but I was surprised when I saw how they raised the trusses. No crane work. They build "sleds" to ride up the insides of the posts, and used a hand-crank winch on each end to pull the trusses up the posts in the upright position. The sleds later became the permanent blocking locking the trusses to their posts. Obviously, raising trusses in this way required two guys to operate the winches on opposite sides of the shop.

As said above, see the manufs.

I don't use Fabral anymore, but their brochure/installation instructions
is pretty good.

The diagram for each piece of trim (as shown on a building) is very helpful
for us non builders.

I have found that, with pole buildings, much like with insulation, you can pay to have it done cheaper than you can buy the materials.

I have had 3 pole barns put up on my property, and every time, I am just amazed how fast and cheap they do it.
In one day, they have all the holes drilled, posts braced in place, and the next morning, they pour the concrete. By the end of the first week, the framing is usually all up. Engineering is included. We once had to pay and extra $200 for custom engineering, as my wife wanted a very particular roof construction. But I hire engineers all the time, and $200 an HOUR is cheap.

I have also bought courrugated metal siding and roofing myself, from a big wholesaler, who orders it from the factory. And there is no doubt I pay more than the pole barn guys.

At least, get a bid. You will be surprised.

After they are up, I do all the blocking, interior walls, wiring, and custom work- but paying to get the framing and sheet metal done is so cheap and fast, its a no-brainer to me.

I wonder how your DIY venture went on . I also don't like hiring technicians and contractors to come fix things around my house as I always used to repair everything with my father when I was a kid. He taught me a great deal about roofs as well and I know how to change the shingles and also the isolation myself. Since my house is quite old at this point, I would like to change completely everything and add a roof ventilator alternative ,which is a very cool innovation compared to what we used to install back in the day. I never thought I could use a solar energy whirlybird before.

Link spam reported.

It would be nice to get a confirmation that spam reporting is desirable. Anyone get feedback on that?

have you seen a spammer post removed ?

Nope, just locked, and the linky is still hot & active.

I wonder how your DIY venture went on . I also don't like hiring technicians and contractors to come fix things around my house as I always used to repair everything with my father when I was a kid. He taught me a great deal about roofs as well and I know how to change the shingles and also the isolation myself. Since my house is quite old at this point, I would like to change completely everything and add a roof ventilator alternative ,which is a very cool innovation compared to what we used to install back in the day. I never thought I could use a solar energy whirlybird before.

I have to say that I was also looking for a wheelie bird recently and this article on this five was quite useful thanks!

Back