What's new
What's new

Boring Head Shank Question

dan1msp

Plastic
I have a boring head from mesa tools (looks like they went out of business a few years ago) and the shank looks home made. I looked it up and I saw one for sale. It had a different shank i.e. lightly rusted and longer than the one I have. I want to put an R8 on it and I'm wondering if anyone here has one of these or knows if the shank is removable. Any info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

boring head.jpg

I have a MESA boring head here in my shop. It uses the same shank the one that Criterion uses on their boring head. I believe the thread is 1.500-18UN. And yes, it is a threaded shank. The thread is right handed. Ken

It sure looks like there's a seam between the shank section and the body, so if you're feeling bold you can make a clamping block of some sort for the body and then go to town on the shank with a pipe wrench.

But don't hurt yourself or wreck anything. This posting will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3, ...

I've had to cut off the flange of the shank on a couple of boring heads in my past, to get them to break loose. Even had one we broke loose with a 36" pipe wrench [t was so tight. Totally uncalled for on a boring head!

Thanks for the tips. I hope I don’t need a 36” pipe wrench, but we’ll see. I could end up with another tool.

I know it sounds stupid, but if you use a pipe wrench on the part be careful to "plan" where the swing of the handle will go if it suddenly gives way. More than one guy has lost teeth or otherwise gotten hurt when all that energy is released or the part comes out of the vise.

I have a MESA boring head here in my shop. It uses the same shank the one that Criterion uses on their boring head. I believe the thread is 1.500-18UN. And yes, it is a threaded shank. The thread is right handed. Ken

I have a 2 inch Mesa head and it has a 7/8-20 threaded back.
Bob

I have a 2 inch Mesa head and it has a 7/8-20 threaded back.
Bob

Ha! It would help to zoom in for a better look at the poster's picture. That certainly look like a 2" head. My wrong. Mine is the 3" version.
Regardless, it takes the same shank as the Criterion uses. Ken

Back