What's new
What's new

Box turning tool on engine lathe

It is kind of tricky to line up a turret tool mounted to the compound slide exactly on the lathe centerline. Other than that issue, it will work fine.

I have lever-operated tailstocks for my Hardinge and Clausing lathes and ER collet chucks on Morse taper shanks that can hold my 5/8", 3/4" and 1" shank turret tooling. These tailstocks are handy for using Miller Quick STR-type knurling tools and Geometric die heads for low volume jobs. The tailstocks would work with most any turret tool, but I tend to do plain end turning on the lathes with the slide rest and a turning tool instead of a box tool. I have turrets, but have not needed to set one up on a high volume job for many years.

Larry

Smart idea or not? I was planning on using these in my AXA boring bar holders.

Meahh.. AXA sets vert, topslide sets Hor. Doable. Might lose as much throughput as it gains?

"Smart idea" means you have already ID'ed some advantage in the tool itself for a given tasking?

AXA size sez your horse is in a range where you can find plenty of bed-turret systems.

If you need that, do that, gain a lot of other turretish stuff, if not, not.
See-also "gang" tooling if it might help earn coin faster..

It is kind of tricky to line up a turret tool mounted to the compound slide exactly on the lathe centerline. Other than that issue, it will work fine.

Larry

+another on what Larry said, .........over the years I've used one on a variety of 7 - 10'' lathes in my home shops (10'' Logan, 7'' Taiwanese Myford clone and 10'' Boxford (SB clone) ......and made plenty $ in the process :)

If you can, get a roller box of the retracting type, much faster and no marking of the work. .....Tangiflow is the Brit one I know (but unfortunately have never owned)

OH YES(almost forgot) - You wil almost certainly need a bed stop.

If you can, get a roller box of the retracting type, much faster and no marking of the work. .....Tangiflow is the Brit one I know (but unfortunately have never owned)

May be too late to acquire a NEW Tangi-Flow ....unless someone has bought the line. Their website has gone dark.

You-Tube still has their vids:

Tangi Flow Roller Box 2015 1 - YouTube

See also Boyar-Schulz.

Boyar Schultz box tool with carbide insert conversion cutting 01 tool steel. - YouTube

And Hardinge. Lots of used Hardinge goods on eBay. As usual.

If not high-volume production or first need of many, hard to justify the costs.

But DIY isn't rocket science. Just "different" from the boring usual.

Or .... feeling lucky?

Extended Small Diameter Turning -- No Problem - YouTube

:D

+another on what Larry said, .........over the years I've used one on a variety of 7 - 10'' lathes in my home shops (10'' Logan, 7'' Taiwanese Myford clone and 10'' Boxford (SB clone) ......and made plenty $ in the process :)

OH YES(almost forgot) - You will almost certainly need a bed stop.

Brock make a retracting type. The US agent was Wickman,now I don't know.

Brock make a retracting type. The US agent was Wickman,now I don't know.

Some oddities turning-up:

L & T Brock --->> Tangi-Flow Products --->|| ??? Current whereabouts unknown???
One browser said that the website was "temporarily suspended"
Another browse found an offer to sell (the website or <domain>.<tld>

That said, Zoro UK and Cromwell carry Brock, in the present moment!

Cromwell Tools - Experts in Hand Tools, Power Tools and PPE

Could was the sales & marketing channels have simply withdrawn to work via distributor channels ... with little or no change to the holders (and inserts) themselves?

Tangi Flow are still there and in business.

Just rang them and got sales and they are open for business etc etc - I was told there were ''problems with the web hosting company''

FYI Tangi flow website (when it's working) Temporarily Disabled

Tangi Flow are still there and in business.

Just rang them and got sales and they are open for business etc etc - I was told there were ''problems with the web hosting company''

FYI Tangi flow website (when it's working) Temporarily Disabled

The "usual suspects" of Unix tools turn up four players in the same loo stall at the moment.

Probably in the midst of migrating to a new hosting provider and website toolset, but "whilst under duress" as-in unresolved dispute.

Because anyone with HALF an ounce of experience does that seamlessly. Even WHEN there is a bun-fight afoot.

It's why your registrar, nameservers, mail host, and web host are always placed with independent and separate entities.

Control the FIRST two, you can choose the other two in about two seconds. Literally, not figuratively, first-most-aware, as much as three days, least-most-aware.

"TTL" thing (Time To Live.. of a published DNS routing record).

Proper "parallel cutover", all-hands cooperative, there is NO break in service at all. "Parallel" means exactly what it says it means.

"While we wait..."

https://www.wickman-group.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/TajmacDocument_Under2MB.pdf

Tangi- Flow = Tool manufacturer in Coventry, England

Automatic House
Discovery Way
Binley
Coventry CV3 2TD
United Kingdom

+44 24 7642 1200

Smart idea or not? I was planning on using these in my AXA boring bar holders.

I've done it on my Logan 9".

However, the AXA is too small to hold the shank.

I made a simple block toolholder, put a milling machine boring head
in the chuck, and bore the block in place.

Alignment is easy, simply bolt it down, and use a dial indicator
on the block's flat surface.

I have used a roller box tool on an engine lathe several times, if you look at the tool it won’t take long to realise the forces generated are in fact less than say a right hand knife, setting them up is a bit trial and error, the cut is supported on the rollers so good if you have a worn machine, I dir have a 6,8,10,12 and 16 ready set, very lazy when you have them tuned, Chuck bar, slam the box on it, finished shaft, coupled with a die head making loads of odd bolts was easy, as correctly pointed out a bed stop ( mine was like the turret on a router, in fact I think it was once part of a cheap crappy router I cannibalised)
Not nearly heavy enough really
Mark

Back