What's new
What's new

Boyar-Shultz profile grinder No.1

sbburke

Plastic
:scratchchin:Hi Everybody! It's been awhile since I was here. As an almost retired man, trying to get as much machining education as I can, I was wondering about this machine that I just picked up. It is missing two belts, and could use a good cleaning. I have searched Fleabay and the web, and this site and nobody seems to know anything. If they do they aren't talking. Questions are: Is there an owner's manual available somewhere, and what is/was this machine used for? I see it takes a standard 1/4" rotary files, and the guy I got it off of said he used to use it for woodworking. Other than the belts is there some other accessories missing? It weighs about 80-90 lbs. and is definitely a bench top machine. Thank You in advance for any help.

Rich

Attachments

• boy-shtzno1 002.5.jpg
    boy-shtzno1 002.5.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 366
  • boy-shtzno1 003.5.jpg
    boy-shtzno1 003.5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 717
  • boy-shtzno1 004.5.jpg
    boy-shtzno1 004.5.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 419
  • boy-shtzno1 005.5.jpg
    boy-shtzno1 005.5.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 425
  • boy-shtzno1 006.5.jpg
    boy-shtzno1 006.5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 395
You will have noted that the table tilts. The machine can be used to shape inside and outside profiles, using mounted cylindrical grinding points or burs. You can get 1/4 to 1/8 bushings to let you use smaller tools for tighter curves. With the table tilted, the shaped edges can be angled slightly to the face of the work. The original purpose of the machine was for making male and female stamping dies and casting dies. The machine can be used to grind hardened dies. A die filer can do much the same work, but is restricted to parts that are not hard.

I had one of these machines, but sold it after finding little use for it. I recall that the spindle can oscillate vertically if desired, and that function will even out wear on mounted points.

Boyar Schultz also made a larger machine with an integral floor stand, so it was much heavier.

I never saw a manual, but the operation is simple.

Lots of stuff on the web if you look: https://www.google.com/#q=boyar+profile+grinder

I suspect EDM machines have made profile grinders and die filers obsolete except for small shops.

Larry

Larry has good information. W.A. Whitney of Rockford, Ill. may still have a small manual on operation of these machines. See my post here from back in 2003! The slot in the table is for mounting of a diamond point tool to true up a grinding stone mounted in the spindle using the up-down motion. I have never seen one of these dressing tools for the #1 profile grinder (or the #2 profile grinder.) I seldom use my machine.

ttok

Thanks Guys. I got an email back from Whitney today and the gentleman said that they no longer carry the BS line. (no pun intended) No literature, no parts, and the old timers have moved on. I guess there isn't any money in carrying obsolete equipment. Now that I think about it, and after reading some of the other posts, there may not be any money in carrying up-to-date equipment either. Anyway we'll try and get the old girl running. thank you, Rich

Rich -

PM me with your mailing address and I will send you Xerox copies of the manual from Whitney. I will also send a copy of the 4 page promotional brochure for the No. 1 profile grinder.

ttok

Hello,

I just picked up a Boyar Schultz #1 profile grinder. If you still have a manual, I would very much appreciate a copy or a pdf of it.

Thanks.

Dddooley

Hey guys, I just bought a Boyar Schultz No. 1 and it needs both of its belts and I can’t find anything online. I emailed Whitney and have yet to hear a response. My email is mtgt419@gmail .com if anybody has copies of the manual or even belt numbers. Thanks in advance.

Back