What's new
What's new

Brass studs 2"x5/16"N.C. threads any Ideas????

batw

Cast Iron
Was rootin around and found about 120 pounds of these studs have had them for about 10 years or better. a company I worked for ordered these and ordered the wrong size and was going to throw them out could not bear to see them scrapped got permission took them home, didn't do a thing -w- them just stored them and forgot about them..... I do not want to scrap them anybody have any ideas as to what could be made from them something along the line of PET ROCKS you know where a whole crowd of idiots will stand in line for hours to buy one of these useless whatevers and go home and tell all there family members and then I will have to start ordering more studs to keep up!!! wishful thinking any Ideas??? :confused: :confused:

Which brass alloy? Did they have "certs" when they were ordered? In other words, is the alloy reliably known? (Think of them as raw material to make something else.)

If you want to sell them as "pet rocks", put two nuts on each stud......

John Ruth

One of the boxes has an address for a supplier in Phila. I was thinking about giving them a call but a lot of manufacturers do not like talking repurchase no matter what price even if the package was never opened... They were for an extremely high amperage service and highly caustic area these studs were acid washed and coated -w- some sticky material they are VERY bright yellow I no it isn't a certification but close????

The suppliers name is Sanson&Rowland Phila,pa. 19120 I also found a reference to PB152 #650 on one of the boxes -w- a circle around it are we gettin close???

Batw:

Hey, it could not have been THAT high of an amperage if these were carrying current, ulsee they were ganged. They are only 5/16ths. ;)

"they are VERY bright yellow"

Hmmmm......They weren't carrying current, were they?

As you know, Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc. The high-Copper alloys look reddish. The high-Zinc alloys are not anywhere near as corrosion-resistant in my admittedly unscientific experience with Brass around saltwater. The Zinc disappears by some Galvanic process and the copper left behind is sort of spongy.

There are some loosely-defined terms used to describe the different alloys: "Red Brass", Yellow Brass" and "White Brass" I don't think these terms have any universally-recognized meaning. More like the kind of term one would use when writing sales literature for something that wasn't tightly specified, like a decorative object.

Little itsy-bitsy cannon barrels for model ships?

"Barrel Buttons" ? (Does anybody wear these anymore? You'd have to turn two tapers on the ends and cross-drill two holes.)

Seriously, I'll bet somebody here can come up with a use for this brass.

John Ruth

John these bolts were not used to carry the current it self they were used to hook no.2 weld cable maybe larger to the lugs on round cell wet batteries from 75 to 100 in paralell each battery weigh about 350 lbs or more depending on size no more than 2.5 volts but a heck of a lot of amps. everybody i know walked very clear of them while they were charging. and during the charge and discharge cycle a lot of fumes were generated.

Gary
Thanks for the tip talked to a fellow named tom and well he didn't hang up on me he took my name and number and if a need does come up he said he would call... any hoo tie clasps, cuff links, key fobs, if I think of something fast i won't have to buy any x-mas gifts.... :D :D

we use these on our underwater burning/welding torches when making splices. crimp an eye onto each end of the welding cable, bolt them together, coat with skotchcote then a linerless rubber tape, repeat this about five times then cover it with a layer of electrical tape.
they're not studs but brass hex heads, the problem is they're always a little too long and after getting banged around for a bit the head of the bolt breaks through the rubber. once the head breaks through the current leaks out and starts shocking divers.
maybe if you trimmed them the right length you could sell them to commercial dive shops. only need to be long enough for nuts on each end and about an 1/8 for the to eyes.

Back