Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for the advice! I posted a reply already but it was pending approval from the administrator, and it hasn't gotten approved yet so here is another try.

EDIT: Looks like this one didn't need approval.

Everything all of you posted has helped, it has given me a lot to think about, and read up on.

I had thought about the making my hobby a job problem, and I don't think that will be a problem. My hobby is making things, and this career path will only help in doing that.

What are some things I should say if I show up to a shop that can help me out? Should I bring a portfolio with pictures/designs of the projects I have worked on as a hobby, or just a resume?

@TeachMePlease I PM'd you, I am willing to commute pretty far since I already drive about an hour to get to work.
    Last edited by silveroranges; 08-29-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: To see if it would need approval

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

something funny going on here

3. Likes silveroranges liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My replies keep getting deleted, sometimes it says pending approval, other times it posts then disappears. But my profile shows that I have 4 or 5 posts but doesn't show them. Also the thread shows it has more pages.

EDIT: I apologize for the multiple posts saying the same thing, the forums were acting wonky. I was posting, and then they would either not show up or show up then disappear shortly. I am also unable to delete/edit those posts, only this one.
    Last edited by silveroranges; 08-29-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would show me there were 2 pages and when I click on page two OR last page it would go back to post 1 on first page.

6. Likes silveroranges liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you have a go no place job now making less than $25 it might be a good idea to start in a shop for $18 or so that has a 25+ mid or top pay.
    knocking on doors is the best way to get a job..tell that you want/intend to learn programming and are willing to start with a broom if needed.

Many shops are busy now and need a guy to fill in and do a chore at slack time. With little time you might buy your own books and buy a CNC router...You can practice some programming while you learn the ropes.

Say I will be to work on time with not missing a day unless it a true emergency. I wont steal anything, I will be careful to avoid mistakes...and won't play with my cell phone..If that be the truth.

If you are a bum worker stay where you are..better than getting fired.

8. Likes silveroranges liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would you consider enlisting in the Air Force to be a machinist? From the couple USAF shops I've been in it looked like they have a good machinist program, you'd come out of that with some solid experience.

Just a thought, there's a lot of personal details that could prevent that from being an option.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check out the YouTube channels GrimsmoKnives and NYC CNC. Some people manage to do it all on their own but having followed these two stories it's a very long uphill battle and you better have another source of income. Best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did not read thru all the responses, but I will say that you seem to have great attitude and some sort of plan. Come to Wisconsin, we would hire you in an instant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    How far would you be willing to commute? I can name a company that would take you in with zero experience, and train you up as a button pusher. You'd have to work hard to become more than a button pusher, but you'd get the baseline experience while getting higher than average pay, full benefits (including 401k w/ match, free insurance, free lunch every day, free gym membership, and more), and working in a new, clean, top of the line facility with all new machines. It'd be a drive, but there's lots of people living in Miami and working there.
    I have to ask.
    What does button pusher above average pay mean here.... I have a house nearby.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I have to ask.
    What does button pusher above average pay mean here.... I have a house nearby.
    Bob
    We've discussed your house before. Shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by silveroranges View Post
    Should I bring a portfolio with pictures/designs of the projects I have worked on as a hobby, or just a resume?

I once hired a guy who had his printed creds with him but who plunked down on my desk a concrete example of a piece of work he had turned out. We got to talking about the details of the procedures that went into it. I was sold. If you think about doing this, though, make sure you bring along a job you can confidently reproduce, not a 1-time lucky shot. Also, you might want to take seriously what michiganbuck wrote in #25: "Say I will be to work on time with not missing a day unless it a true emergency. I wont steal anything, I will be careful to avoid mistakes...and won't play with my cell phone..If that be the truth."

Good luck. You sound to me as if you're going to be OK.

-Marty-

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Since no one's brought it up, get a hot dog cart, or go straight to the top and get a food truck. Seriously, when it comes to a choice of work, I'd cast a bigger net. I spent about thirty years in the shops with little regret. When my last and best shop job went away, I retrained and spent the last ten years in healthcare as an RRT.
    Manufacturing seems to be following a path similar to agriculture. Around 1900, about half the population worked on or was connected with a farm. Today, it's like two percent. I see manufacturing going the same way. The number of jobs will go down, skillset required will expand. See what jobs the Bureau of Labor Statistics thinks will expand in the next ten years. If one looks attractive, try it.