What's new
What's new

Drilling a hole - smoothest finish?

GregSY

Diamond
If you had to drill a 1/4" hole through a 1" piece of 6061 aluminum and wanted the smoothest bore, what would you use? A drill bit, a reamer, an end mill or? By smooth I mean the least amount of swirl marks, scratches, etc.

Drill under size, then ream with the quill feed. Reaming is similar to boring. If you've ever hand fed a boring bar, boring a hole, the finish will look less than stellar. Similarly if you hand feed when tuning on a lathe or fly cutting on a mill, hand fed finishes look worse than power fed finishes . If you use the quill feed when reaming, it should turn out the best it can, unless you hit it with a hone after. An end mill will usually chatter, and if it doesn't, the results are typically not the best.

Tom

Standard finish is drill then ream but that is not the best 'possible'. What other specs would the hole have to meet? Straightness, roundness, taper?

Other operations possible are grinding, honing, roller burnishing, electo-polishing, plating and probably a few others I've missed.

No real other specs concerning straightness or roundness, I just want a hole that looks nice. It will be visible after I machine half of it away; it will look like a half-pipe and I want the part that is left to be attractive.

There's ballizing too. Superb finish very quickly. Ream hole ~.001 undersize, lubricate and press a .250 ball (hardened 51100, common ball bearing ball) through the hole.

Simple 1-step holes, accurately placed and smooth bored -- look up Annular Cutters (Rota-Broach is one) in MMC, MSC, etc.

The OP said a 1/4" hole through 1" of plate. I'm not sure they make annular cutters in that small a diameter.

For superb finish, single point boring is the best IMHO.

Henry

ball bearing steel,to my knowledge,is 52100 steel. Some gun barrel makers at least for black powder shot gun barrels,will force a carbide ball through the bore.

ball bearing steel,to my knowledge,is 52100 steel. Some gun barrel makers at least for black powder shot gun barrels,will force a carbide ball through the bore.

D-dill/reamer approach, ELSE cylindrical roller-burnisher is better for shiney-wood.

Spotty history of steel or carbide balls tending to discover ways to degrade the hole rather than improve it.

Bill

If you really want a spectacular finish, you could drill, ream, saw it in half, and then use abrasives to polish it to whatever degree you wish. Start with a coarse grade and work your way down. You could wind up with a mirror finish with 1000 or 2000 grit and some oil. I believe you said the diameter was 1/4" so you could use a cotton swab in a drill. Charge it with the abrasive and oil mixture and have at it.

Usually the fastest method if you don't have a reamer handy is to drill 1/16" undersize and chamfer the corners of your on size drill at 45 degrees and hone a flat on the cutting face so the drill won't pull itself through, this has the effect of creating a reamer out of a drill bit such as an end cutting type reamer.

Works well enough that most people think you reamed the hole and gives similar finish results as an end cutting reamer if done properly.

Ha!Ha!... Bill you have to be smoking the shit that killed Elvis to come up with that stuff...lol

Brent

Quite the reverse.

I would NOT be reminiscing about 'anatomy' if I WAS 'impaired' by anything stronger that old age.. and a ration of Pall Mall menthols to prevent my actually chasing .. and whimpering pitifully at failure.

A man's got to know his limitations.

BTW. In pre "politically correct" days, or at least before bikini trims and waxing took off, aftermarket auto parts suppliers sold ready-made 'trim' to put around ignition key bezels.

Bill

Back