What's new
What's new

Bridgeport 1.5 HP Mill

Tejano

Plastic
OK, here is the questions for you master machinist and others, too.

I am planning on buying a 1.5 HP Bridgeport with a 3phase motor on it. I have a Dayton 1.5 HP DC motor that I am thinking of putting on it. I got it on Craigslist for 80 bucks brand new, the guy had no clue what it was worth. He told me that he believed it was worth at least 200 dollars.

Any reason why I should keep the 3 phase and just put a VFD on it over installing the DC motor?

This is the motor in question.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4Z226

Any thoughts and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

It would be much less work to just get a VFD and leave the current motor in place. Why do you want to use the DC motor?

Your #1 problem is going to be that the original US Motors 1.5 HP motor that it on there already has a full length keyed shaft and a circlip groove that are both required for the variable speed pulley system. Significant work will be required to swap motors, and the new DC motor might not even have a long enough shaft to work.

While I am no expert on 3 phase vs. DC motors, I can't think of a good reason to go through all the trouble when a brand new VFD is only a couple of hundred bucks and can do soft start, controlled braking, etc., with the stock motor.

If you got a great deal on the DC motor maybe it would be better to sell it to buy some tooling for the mill??

Back