Likes (Received)

"Bridgeport Constantly Loses Accuracy"

Better keep a bucket under it.....

2. Likes JRIowa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    double indicator will tram mill vise too. usually zero indicators to back of mill table then adjust vise within .0005 in seconds and then use X travel watching only one indicator to confirm within .0005
    yes i drilled and tapped a hole in mill column took me a whole 3 minutes
    Tom,
    That's no good. Try this convoluted whacked out thing. Guaranteed within .002 accuracy. Should take no more than an hour.
    Edge Technology "Vise Square" Tramming Tool - YouTube

4. Likes Newman109, Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently no one has watched the Rucker demo of the Edge vise tram tool. There was no relative movement between the table and vise. So no movement of the Edge indicator. The vise is mounted to the table, the tam tool is mounter to the table!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    "Bridgeport Constantly Loses Accuracy"

Better keep a bucket under it.....
    That brought up a mental picture of an enterprising immigrant who BELIEVED you..gathered up an unheated barn of a warehouse full of old clapped-out, "leaky" Bridgeports and connected them to milking machines recycled of Holstein cow teats.

Gonna make a FORTUNE selling genuine Bridgeport "accuracy" in foil-lined UHT pasteboard cartons to ... wait for it. "Wrong Fu".

And then... goes broke.. buried under his inventory ..when he finds out they don't understand why they would WANT any such of a thing as "accuracy" in a Wrong Fu mill-drill to being with!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    That brought up a mental picture of an enterprising immigrant who BELIEVED you..gathered up an unheated barn of a warehouse full of old clapped-out, "leaky" Bridgeports and connected them to milking machines recycled of Holstein cow teats.

Gonna make a FORTUNE selling genuine Bridgeport "accuracy" in foil-lined UHT pasteboard cartons to ... wait for it. "Wrong Fu".

And then... goes broke.. buried under his inventory ..when he finds out they don't understand why they would WANT any such of a thing as "accuracy" in a Wrong Fu mill-drill to being with!

Wrong fu? That reminded me of an unfortunate incident that occurred to us a while back in a Chinese restaurant. We had ordered chicken egg foo yung, two orders.

Imagine my consternation and disgust when we were brought mushroom egg foo yung. The waitress had brought us the wrong fu.

8. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by muckalee View Post
    Apparently no one has watched the Rucker demo of the Edge vise tram tool. There was no relative movement between the table and vise. So no movement of the Edge indicator. The vise is mounted to the table, the tram tool is mounter to the table!
    I watched the whole grueling video. I don't know what are you trying to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently no one has watched the Rucker demo of the Edge vise tram tool. There was no relative movement between the table and vise. So no movement of the Edge indicator. The vise is mounted to the table, the tam tool is mounter to the table!
    Its a reference, you also have to use an indicator, like you always do when squaring up a vise.

In my opinionated opinion.. That gadget is useless and stupid, and for me it would take longer than just "Doin' It".

Also in my not so humble opinion.. Pure Genius.. The inventor/seller... There is a sucker born every minute.

I used to love teaching new guys/gals how to square a vise.. I'd give them a 2 second tutorial and leave them at it,
    come and get me when you think you have it....

Sometime far later in the afternoon. "I GOT IT!!!".. Usually 15-20 minutes their first go round.

So I'd wander over, check it.. Tell them they did a good job, then pull the dead blow out from behind my
    back and *WHAM* 'DO IT AGAIN!!'... The looks on their faces.... Best part of the job ever...

"But why Mister? Why? What did I ever do to you?"...

A few more words of encouragement. A tip or two... And rinse and repeat.. We wouldn't stop until they were
    able to do it in no more than a couple minutes... Yes, you lose an hour and half or 2 hours in training,
    but its money in the bank down the road when they can knock in a vise or fixture in just a few minutes.

11. Likes Newman109, Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I start tramming and aligning to table tops and tee-slots someone please shoot me.
    My machines cut metal using their ways. You know, the things that actually move when the handles are cranked....and the planes the tool cuts in.
    These other surfaces by design will always have added error.
    I prefer to eliminate errors I know will be there and get down to brass tacks.
    Bob

13. Likes JRIowa, Bobw, Matt_Maguire, MetalCarnage liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    I watched the whole grueling video.
    I couldn't bear it! My vise is keyed. Take it off the cart, clean the table and the vise, put it on. Then I snug up the nuts and check it. Always less than 0.005" to start with. I've got a swivel base which I haven't used in at least 10 years. But when you need, you need.

I also got rid of my "Last Word" indicators about 100 years ago. Other than a "Gem", I can't think of a worse indicator.

Maybe I'm just old, but if you would have pulled a contraption like that out in any of the shops I worked in or owned, you'd be laughed out of there. When you have to work against the clock, it's a whole different story.

I've looked at the Edge Technology stuff. I'd rather buy endmills and inserts before spending my money on most of that. Stuff like vise stops, I made myself around that 100 years ago. Don't get me wrong, if you've got the money and can't find anything better to spend it on, go right ahead. It's just like P.T. Barnum said!
    JR

15. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen a similar thing when checking spindle lift. Everything attached to the same surface,a really good way to prove everything is perfect. Well as perfect as anything can be when you are actually checking nothing. It does take quite a while for the reason why there is no spindle lift to sink in, especially those who know all the answers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JRIowa View Post

Maybe I'm just old, but if you would have pulled a contraption like that out in any of the shops I worked in or owned, you'd be laughed out of there.
    Yup, Same here.

I like Keith Rucker, he seems like a nice guy, and some of his videos are pretty cool. Also, VintageMachinery.org has a lot of reference material and is a great resource. He is NOT a machinist by trade, and that's pretty obvious in many of his videos, but he sometimes works on some cool stuff and usually get the job done, along with documenting the process, so more power to him.

That vise squaring contraption is absolutely laughable. If you need of of those, you probably shouldn't have access to a milling machine.

18. Likes JRIowa, Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    When I start tramming and aligning to table tops and tee-slots someone please shoot me.
    My machines cut metal using their ways. You know, the things that actually move when the handles are cranked....and the planes the tool cuts in.
    These other surfaces by design will always have added error.
    I prefer to eliminate errors I know will be there and get down to brass tacks.
    Bob
    C’mon C’Bob, I think you’re picking on me…

I thought the P.T. Barnum thing also when I viewed the video. It was painful long, but I assumed this was his first attempt with it. I also thought a mag base wound serve the same purpose if I wanted to do that method.

@ TomB, the setup shown in post #40 STILL requires pre-referencing each indicator by a known true (set) table reference or by placing an object on the table and then table traveling to set each indicator to the way travel… Then you’d drop the knee & set a vice with a parallel in the jaw. I just can’t argue with the old “spin the spindle over the table” method though, that’s how I do it.

Back on OT, turret mills get out of tram but this seems to be a very extreme case.

Good luck,
    Matt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there is a old US patent on tramming a mill showing a 4 dial indicator setup basically like double indicator just 2 more at 90 degree. each indicator is zeroed to a gage block on table and spindle rotated so next indicator over same spot and zeroed. when all 4 indicators zeroed you bring into contact with mill table
    as you adjust head you watch the all 4 indicators (showing X and Y same time)and adjust til all 4 are same number not requiring any spindle rotation when adjusting tram

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there is a old US patent on tramming a mill showing a 4 dial indicator setup basically like double indicator just 2 more at 90 degree. each indicator is zeroed to a gage block on table and spindle rotated so next indicator over same spot and zeroed. when all 4 indicators zeroed you bring into contact with mill table
    as you adjust head you watch the all 4 indicators (showing X and Y same time)and adjust til all 4 are same number not requiring any spindle rotation when adjusting tram
    I didn't OWN a DI at any time, first four years on H & V mills.

The parts milled always met spec. They always fit. There were none scrapped. Ever.

With ... out ... fail.

Blame that on "mental pollution" from folk already masters of their craft before such gadgets as "dial indicators" were common anywhere at all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    I didn't OWN a DI at any time, first four years on H & V mills.

The parts milled always met spec. They always fit. There were none scrapped. Ever.

With ... out ... fail.

Blame that on "mental pollution" from folk already masters of their craft before such gadgets as "dial indicators" were common anywhere at all.
    my point is US patent web site has many expired patents with many good ideals
    and out of over 15,000 parts i have made i admit to scrapping a few parts. not many but i have scrapped a few parts before

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and out of over 15,000 parts i have made i admit to scrapping a few parts. not many but i have scrapped a few parts before
    I'm certain you made them faster than I did, too.

Y'see.. my main advantage was simple enough. No "walking on water" involved.

I just had the luxury of working slower and then .....quitting while I was still ahead!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i have many indicators as i use to measure large machine alignment for printing press type machines. the $20. dial indicators work ok for me. sure if i drop them and they get damaged then they dont work and i replace them
    i always made tools and tool modifications. the double indicator tram gage makes tramming a mill 10x faster. i literally have seen people take 20-30 minutes using one indicator. with dual indicator it normally takes about 1 minute. doesnt take long to make up for the 1/2 hour i took to make each indicator holder. i saw expired US Patents on various gages and didnt take long to try out the ideals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tramrollerindicator.jpg   trammillgauge1.jpg   trammillgauge2b.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=DMF_TomB;3222814 i literally have seen people take 20-30 minutes using one indicator. [/QUOTE]

whaaaa? maybe 3 minutes, including putting the bent rod, indicator and jo block back. jeez how long would these folk take to line up 2 kurt vises a foot apart within .001?

26. Likes Bobw, JRIowa liked this post