What's new
What's new

Bridgeport j head type mill drive system change opinions

feconkar

Plastic
Hi,

I have a Bridgeport j head clone milling machine about 5 years. When i bought that machine it's high speed gear was not working beacuse of a broken teeth. I have weld a teeth with tig weld and it worked and still working ( a little bit loud gear sound but okay).

I don't know how much time it will keep working but i have devoloped a plan to improve my j head clone. To simply the expression i will write down the plan step by step.

- i will switch the sytem on step pulley (low speed) system permanently.
- i will swtich 1500 rpm 2 hp motor with a 3000 rpm 3 hp motor
- i will add an sensorless vector drive

i want to keep pulleys because of their torque increasement. But my highest milling speed will be around 600 rpm with this setup. I don't want too much speed but at least 2000 rpm will be good for me for highest milling speed. At this point maybe i can remove or adjust the diameter of the timing belt. If i decrase the diameter of the big timing belt wheel, may be i can gain some rpm from here.

And now i want your opinions or advice about this setup. Is there a project that you can show me to get inspire or to follow. I know there are more experinced machinist and engineers in here and i want to hear advices from them.

Back