What's new
What's new

Bridgeport M head

Bellaru433

Aluminum
I have a Bridgeport M head and am new to all this,, anyway how do you retract the big ram the head is attached to that will move the head forward to backwards .. it has the small levers on both sides of the ram but when those are turned the head begins to Rotate clockwise or counterclockwise but how do you move the whe whole ram forward or backwards...??
Thank you...

See Bridgeport - original "Round Ram" Model for pictures and details of the various Round Ram Bridgeports.

Unless its one of the rare late type ones with a longitudinal rack cut in the ram you just push the ram the way you want it to go.

If you have a rotation hand wheel type the rotation gear round the ram stays still as you move the ram so the key and keyway keep the head pretty close to vertical. Still have to tram it tho.

Dunno about the originals without the hand wheel.

Clive

See Bridgeport - original "Round Ram" Model for pictures and details of the various Round Ram Bridgeports.

Unless its one of the rare late type ones with a longitudinal rack cut in the ram you just push the ram the way you want it to go.

If you have a rotation hand wheel type the rotation gear round the ram stays still as you move the ram so the key and keyway keep the head pretty close to vertical. Still have to tram it tho.

Dunno about the originals without the hand wheel.

Clive

Not sure the one I was on now-and-then, early, early 1960s' - had even had its ram moved once in ten years for anything above a clean and re-lube / preservative.

Lotta work out there where the knee and quill need no assistance from moving the ram atall, years on end, and we had just that. Also the 1J next to it was easier if we DID have the need.

Ya it’s all the way forward and I have to operate it with my bed/table pretty much all the way out forward.. wouldn’t it be best to have it somewhere in the middle for just general use..?

Ya it’s all the way forward and I have to operate it with my bed/table pretty much all the way out forward.. wouldn’t it be best to have it somewhere in the middle for just general use..?

Stiffest, ALL layers and players, all the way IN, actually.

But surely - "middle" the better jump-off for starters. Thereafter, the work you use it for, the vise, rotab, vee-blocks, clamps, angle or sine plates, trunnion angle table? Only you can set it up for what best suits YOU - compromises and all.

Back