What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Mill Helper Step Identification

TomGun

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

I am a retired automotive teacher with very limited machining experience, so I know I'm out of my depth on this forum. Please forgive me.

I have a very good amateur machinist friend that is looking for what I think is an accessory "helper step" for an old Bridgeport mill, although I guess it could be used on any "tall" machine. I have searched the internet for hours and cannot find even so much as a reference to this thing.

I have attached pictures from the only one either of us have ever seen and it's mounted to the base of a mill at a shop he works at, but no one there has any idea where it came from, as it has been there "for ever."

Has anyone seen one of these and maybe know who makes it, what it's officially called, or where I can find one? The part number on it says "SLBP001" Maybe means "Step ?? Bridge Port 001" ???

Left Side.jpgBottom.jpgMounting.jpgRight Side.jpgSwivel.jpg

Many Thanks for allowing me to post here.

Tommy G.

Don't know who makes them, but I want one. Have thought about making it but would like to buy one.

JH

Ditto on that^^^^^^^^^^^

As a vertically challenged person, I'm constantly annoyed by have to reach/climb/step to do my job.

This thing would be perfect.

I feel like OSHA would have some sort of problem with this.

But at 5'3" and barely able to turn the drawbar with my thumb... I want one anyway.

Smack you ankle into it qty (1) time and it will get removed. That is a trip hazard for sure.

It needs the arm to be on both sides.

why not just sawcut the concrete floor and spend 1 hour with a shovel ?

I'm 6'5" so I don't have any problem reaching the drawbar on my Bridgeport. However for some reason I am a lot more comfortable if I have one foot elevated. I rest one foot on the Ferndale stop bar of the lathe. On the mill I use a small bucket that I use to clean up swarf. I know it is not OSHA approved but I don't really know what would be. At least on the lathe I'm ready to stop things up in a hurry.

I think it swings away easily?

Smack you ankle into it qty (1) time and it will get removed. That is a trip hazard for sure.

It needs the arm to be on both sides.

why not just sawcut the concrete floor and spend 1 hour with a shovel ?

I think that this is meant to swivel out of the way if you run into it, and it can be kicked out of the footpath for "storage" between uses, although I have not seen this thing in person, only the pictures and what was described to me.

Tommy G.

Reminds me of every high school soldering bench I have ever seen. They have iron tractor seats mounted on swing arms attached to the bench legs. They swing under the bench out of the way when not in use. I think the seats pivot so the student can move it as close to the bench as needed depending on student height and reach.
That design does reduce the maximum distance under the quill by an inch or so. It may have a spring loaded detent so it does not swing out and trip you while the machine is vibrating
Bil lD.

I have never needed one on any mill that didn't have a riser block. A guy that I use to work with who was very short had one. He would take it from Job to job and put it on the mill he was using at the time. His had a swivel and you would just kick it out of the way when not using it. It was made by the same company that made a really nice clamp on drill press tray / tool shelf. I remember looking the company up years ago to buy one of the trays but they were out of business then. They made several other simple but clever cast iron attachments.
That one might not have been the same brand as the one pictured. The name might come to me but I can't remember it now.

Andy

I'm 5' 4" and needed a step stool even before I fitted an 8" riser block and a movable base to my mill. I'd been trying to work out how to fit a foldable ladder to the base. This idea looks briliant.

If the pivot has a light spring in it to raise the step up a bit, with a serrated face on the bottom of the step and top of the support parts of the pivot (think Newbould indexer or Bridgeport clutch), then it would lock solid when you put your wight on the step, while being easy to kick out of the way.

Precisely!

I'm 5' 4" and needed a step stool even before I fitted an 8" riser block and a movable base to my mill. I'd been trying to work out how to fit a foldable ladder to the base. This idea looks briliant.

If the pivot has a light spring in it to raise the step up a bit, with a serrated face on the bottom of the step and top of the support parts of the pivot (think Newbould indexer or Bridgeport clutch), then it would lock solid when you put your wight on the step, while being easy to kick out of the way.

That is exactly how I am given to understand that it operates. Now if only I could find some old geezer like me who never throws anything away and has a box of these in the basement!:drool5:

Tommy G.

Back