What's new
What's new

Bridgeport power feed identification

Davemorl

Plastic
Hi,

I have a Bridgeport series 1 J head and it has a power feed. I was wondering if someone could help Identify the model and maybe some help in maintenance of it.

It is functioning correctly but the speed lever is very stiff at the lower speeds and the direction lever is a bit temperamental in one direction.

Screenshot_20190705-202303_Gallery.jpg - Google Drive

Thanks,
Dave.

It is a old Bridgeport power feed except for the gear shift. That was welded together. The original part is one piece.

DSC_0382.jpg

Wouldn't hurt to clean the gear stack inside and whatever else is gummed up.

Those old mechanical feed units work well for what they do. They're fairly integrated into the lead screw though, so IMO unless it's been gutted of parts or is a total basket case, you're better off running with it than trying to upgrade to a newer system. The only thing better than it would be a CNC conversion with ball screws, but that's a whole other conversation...

I have one of those powerfeeds spare if you would like it? I changed to a servo one for using faster travel and the joy of a rapid button.

Damm heavy thing to be hanging off the end of the table.

What do you mean the lead screw is integrated?

If I wanted to remove this would I need to replace it with a new leadscrew?

I am in the UK Neil, where about are you?
I will be opening it up next week and having a look. If there is anything heavily worn or broken I may need to replace or repair so a spare may come in handy.

Thanks,
Dave.

What do you mean the lead screw is integrated?

If I wanted to remove this would I need to replace it with a new leadscrew?

I am in the UK Neil, where about are you?
I will be opening it up next week and having a look. If there is anything heavily worn or broken I may need to replace or repair so a spare may come in handy.

Thanks,
Dave.

On my 1972 model the power feed shaft goes through the end bearing and attaches to the lead screw. The shaft on the power feed is about 6" long. In my case the power feed was fried and partially disassembled so rather than hunt around for parts I made a short shaft and reinstalled the manual hand crank. The crank has been working for nearly 20 years without problems. Should I ever want to install one of the newer style power feeds it's just a matter of removing the crank handle and dials.

One downside to this style power feed is that the X table travel is 2" shorter than machines with the manual crank lead screw. Rather than a 30" traverse it only has a 28" traverse. Should the lead screw and/or nuts get worn to the point they need to be replaced I will order a standard lead screw and use a Servo power feed.

I'm not quite sure why, but the X lead screw for the mechanical power feed is more expensive than the longer standard one.

1098 - Longitudinal Feed Screws

Given how old the mechanical feed drive systems are I'm surprised that you can still get new feedscrews.

If anyone in the UK wants one I have a brand new one sitting around that I'd sell for £ very reasoanable. Came with a box of new spares some of which I wanted, some I only thought I did and some the vendor insisted I take!

Clive

Back