What's new
What's new

bridgeport power feed x axis

leod

Aluminum
I bought an asong power feed, what a huge mistake. After half a day of shimming (after I figured out where they all go and why without a usable manual) it barely functions. I will be returning it, hopefully without any issues. What I am wondering is what one do I want? It is an old m head. Is servo any good? I know an actual Bridgeport is best but not sure if I can afford or find one.

I don't think the bridgeport table feed is the best if it where the best bridgeport would still be making they are using servo's now I have an old bridgeport gear box power feed I would sell cheap I am just up the road in woodland wa Ken

I have 3 Asong's on 2 BPs and the only issue with about 5 I've had was one lost the feed control pot. They at least have a on-off switch which the Servo's saddly lack.

do you have the mounting parts I would need? this is the first one I have mounted so I am learning as I go.

For the life of me I cant remember what we just paid for a new power feed unit, it is Servo brand, I wanna say $600ish maybe a little less.

It came with EVERY thing needed, the only thing you may have to fabricate is a mount to hold the limit switch for X.
It is not hard to setup at all.

You may wanna use silicon sealant on the new table bracket so coolant want seep out if you use a mister or spray bottle.

Well the one I had did not have any shape or form of a on/off switch. But it was on the 70s BP when I got it so maybe older ones did not???

Well the one I had did not have any shape or form of a on/off switch. But it was on the 70s BP when I got it so maybe older ones did not???

It is possible yours did not, but most likely the one you had was broken off and you just may not have seen it?

Not saying they never made them with no switch because I havnt a clue about Servo history but seems strange a servo device of any kind would not
have a means to turn off or on other then yanking out the power cord from the wall.

I've got a couple of BPs with Servo power feeds, one on all three axis. I'd hazard to say they're the top dog in BP 'feeds. The old Bridgeport power feeds work, sorta. I personally hate them. I've retro fitted BP style feeds to a 52 inch VTL. The guys that use it tear them up frequently. I've used both a Servo and a $500.00 import copy ( Servos cost at least a grand). Can't say I can see a difference in them!
I've read somewhere that the Bridgeport power feeds have something like a 5-600 dollar core charge. Don't know if that's true but I'd certainly check it out before I'd just chuck one in the trash!!

I've owned both BP and Servo feed of all types over the years. The Servo 140 and 150 work fine. The 6F and 8F BP feeds are superb... IMHO much better than the servo etc at low speeds. But.... they only fit the X -axis (I think) and support is getting very thin. If you're not an electronic tech and can fix your own circuit boards (I do), you can toss the entire 6F 1970's electronics and replace with a modern control module (Minitek?). A couple of kits out here to do this.

WRT the "switch". I don't recall the very old Servo 70 or 90 having the switch/circuit breaker. The 140 and 150 (most of what's out there for the past 20 years) do.

Avoid the cheap ones may last a year if your lucky. We changed to old school BP power feed after trying a couple of Shars units that did not last. Bought our BP unit from a machine dealer/service co. used for $650 installed and it came with the x axis screw. No issues for 3 years it works great.

I have 3 servos and a 6F between 2 BPs All work fine, all have on off switches. I have seen servos new in the 5-600.00 range recently but I don't remember where as I don't need one. I have never had a problem with any of them.

Good morning,

I have only now ever seen or known of three people to have the Y axis BP feed. Saw one at a customers, I have a rebuilt one, and the one Peter just showed. We rebuild/repair them here at the shop as well as Servos. I think the biggest question to ask is what are you using it for? Bridgeport power feeds are beasts, but you pay for it. The Servo just isnt as hard core as the BP IMHO.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

I have 3 Asong's on 2 BPs and the only issue with about 5 I've had was one lost the feed control pot. They at least have a on-off switch which the Servo's saddly lack.

I have an Asong on the X axis of my big Webb mill. Like yours the feed control pot needed replacement after several years. The neon power-on bulb quit so I installed a small rectifier using the 67 volts AC from the PC board and a suitable resistor to drive a red LED. Works great. Yes, the on/off switch is nice.

There are a couple of websites that sell the parts for Asong so that makes repairs easier.

Back