What's new
What's new

Bridgeport repair in my area?

vaquero

Plastic
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of someone that can do some work on my '68 Bridgeport variable speed mill. It will need some work both to the table/knee and to the head. My guess is that it won't be cheap. I figure $6K minimum. It is in working condition but I suspect it is only going to go downhill from here... I'd rather not spend more than $7K, but once the box is opened it can really go anywhere.

I know of H&W in Indiana, but would prefer somewhere much closer, as I'm in Flagstaff AZ.. It's winter, obviously, and it would need to be transported in an open trailer. I have watched the videos on disassembly if that is the route the repair person chooses, but I don't feel remotely qualified to do the work myself. I am not a machinist really. More of a fabricator that can do light machining for my own fab work. I never take work machining.

I am also open to looking at new (or new-ish) mills from Enco or the like, so I'm open to suggestions.

Phoenix would be optimal, but Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Denver or Albuquerque are all doable. Once it's on the trailer and ready to go, the hard work is done right?

Thank you to this entire community for just being here, and for any advice in this matter!

I presume you need your mill on a regular basis. If so, your best solution will be to buy another mill in good enough shape to satisfy your needs. When you get the replacement mill in service, sell your existing mill.

Again distance is an issue but I think H&W will take your machine on trade for one already refreshed. From a financial perspective its going to cost between $7500-8500 to do a BP which puts in you the price range for a new machine from Taiwan.

There have GOT to be machine repair facilities in Southern California, with all the aerospace industry there!

Winter or not, I-10 should be wide open.

metalmagpie

Back