What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Series 1 Knee Mill restore - column way scraping

lennynpeter

Plastic
Hi,
For the past 5 moth I'm restoring a Bridgeport Series 1 knee mill (J-Head) and one of the next steps is to scrape the ways of the machine column. TO ease the process (handling the straight edge/scraping) I thought to lay down the column horizontal, level it and use a kingway tool copy to measure the way. Since the horizontal position is not the normal working position - has anyone experience with the effects to the column. I don't want to spend a lot of effort scaping the ways in, just to see when the column is vertical again, that all work was for nothing, since the column bend in one way.
Cheers,
Peter

Laying the column flat is exactly what the Connelly book recommends. The columns are designed to be extremely rigid, I don’t think you’ll have any problems.

Of of the methods Connelly suggests in getting the column flat is by using a precision level.

I don’t think scraping in the upright position is very common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would not try to do it vertical. Unless the scraped straight edge you are using for reference was also checked against it's own reference while in the vertical position it may not be flat/straight in that position. Gravity and all...

Edit: then again you are doing a fairly short surface, might be fine. But it would be a pain in the butt vs. doing it horizontal.

Back