What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Series 2

overhaulin

Plastic
Bridgeport Series 2 Special

I am looking at purchasing my first Bridgeport and could really use some help from the experts on this site. I do like BP because of parts availability and price. Although I am not sure how readily available parts are for the series 2 table/base.

I found a gentlemen selling a BP Series 2 Special with 2 HP 2J head, I know its about twice the size as a series 1, and thought it was a fair price $5K given the general condition, DRO, and power feed. Each axis has about .020 to .030 backlash and the motor seem to make a little rattle at idle but goes away after speeding the machine up. He thought the machine was a 90's but after checking the serial numbers it looks like the base is a 1967 and the head is a 1984. This automatically throws up a couple of red flags due to my lack of knowledge.

The ways look and run really nice, but the overall weight of the machine and the air table along are of some concern.

Can you provide some pro's and cons. for purchasing this machine? Are there any red flags or areas I should investigate further? Sorry for the long thread. Sorry I don't have any other pics of the machine other than the ways.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210222-062456_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210222-062456_Messenger.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Being a Series II Special gives it almost zero more travel than the 48 inch table. The width of the saddle takes up the extra table length. The biggest travel gain is in the Y axis. Parts are harder to find for the Series II part of it.

Its not that the above comments are pros or cons, they just are.

Did you call and talk to Barry yesterday?

Jon

They are Cadillacs.
Mine has built-in flood, Power feeds, power knee, power quill, auto-lube Variable speed belt-drive 5 HP head...
More torque than anything. A bit tall.. Table, 11 x 54
ER 40 Taper with Erickson QC
I never saw a 2 HP one though.
Mine too is old and sloppy. I rebuilt the head at one time, and have thought of refreshing the dovetails on the table and saddle... I just haven't got to it.

I love the series II but I don't know if I'd go for the one you described.

I am looking at purchasing my first Bridgeport and could really use some help from the experts on this site. I do like BP because of parts availability and price. Although I am not sure how readily available parts are for the series 2 table/base.

I found a gentlemen selling a BP Series 2 Special with 2 HP 2J head, I know its about twice the size as a series 1, and thought it was a fair price $5K given the general condition, DRO, and power feed. Each axis has about .020 to .030 backlash and the motor seem to make a little rattle at idle but goes away after speeding the machine up. He thought the machine was a 90's but after checking the serial numbers it looks like the base is a 1967 and the head is a 1984. This automatically throws up a couple of red flags due to my lack of knowledge.

The ways look and run really nice, but the overall weight of the machine and the air table along are of some concern.

Can you provide some pro's and cons. for purchasing this machine? Are there any red flags or areas I should investigate further? Sorry for the long thread. Sorry I don't have any other pics of the machine other than the ways.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

That's an excellent price if the machine is in good condition.....looking at the ways, it could be?

They are Cadillacs.
Mine has built-in flood, Power feeds, power knee, power quill, auto-lube Variable speed belt-drive 5 HP head...
More torque than anything. A bit tall.. Table, 11 x 54
ER 40 Taper with Erickson QC
I never saw a 2 HP one though.
Mine too is old and sloppy. I rebuilt the head at one time, and have thought of refreshing the dovetails on the table and saddle... I just haven't got to it.

I love the series II but I don't know if I'd go for the one you described.

Two different machines!

The special had the standard 2J head, not the 4hp.

The 4hp machines had power feed for the table and saddle in a gearbox inside the knee......the parts are probably unobtanium, or if you can find them, they are very, very expensive!

Kevin

Thanks everyone. I did speak with Barry and Jackie and they were a wealth of knowledge and advice. They provided some valuable insight. This machines only came with a 2HP motor so even thought the size of the table is much larger at 58" and it weighs twice as much as a series 1 mill it still offers no greater working ability other that the larger table features and possible a little more accuracy due to its weight.

Thanks again everyone!

Anyone know where I can find a nice series 1, 48" table, VS, DRO, and power feed near Akron, Ohio without having to take out a 2nd mortgage?

Last edited:
The Series II Special had a much higher weight capacity for the table compared to the Series I. The optional air assist for the knee made cranking it with heavy weights easy. Where the extra weight capacity is not necessary it makes the machine more difficult to run.

A regular Series II can be easier to run than a Series I. Full power feed and rapids on all 4 axis. The option that puts an extra table feed handle at the edge of the knee, so you can easily crank both table and saddle at the same time is a huge improvement.

I have a series 2 special and I would not buy one if you don't NEED the extra weight and size capacity.
My favorite mill for repair and prototype stuff is a series 1 bp eztrack. Full manual and 2 axis cnc plus a really simple control makes it (easy) to do basic cnc movements.

Think of the cnc as a piece of tooling like a indexer or rotary table ect.
And it allows you to run small tools to make big holes/slots ect

Ps be warned though the computer/drive parts are hard to find and expensive!

Thanks everyone. I did speak with Barry and Debbie and they were a wealth of knowledge and advice. They provided some valuable insight. This machines only came with a 2HP motor so even thought the size of the table is much larger at 58" and it weighs twice as much as a series 1 mill it still offers no greater working ability other that the larger table features and possible a little more accuracy due to its weight.

Thanks again everyone!

Anyone know where I can find a nice series 1, 48" table, VS, DRO, and power feed near Akron, Ohio without having to take out a 2nd mortgage?

Sorry I meant Debbie at H&W!!!

Back