What's new
What's new

Brierley ZB-25 drill grinder Setting Gauge Size Help

Howie Dines

Plastic
Hi all,
I have a ZB25 but I'm missing the setting gauge. I'm therefore looking for help with the sizes so I can make a replacement.
If anyone can post the sizes as per my picture below that would be great. The rest I can scale.
Many thanks in advance.
Howie

ZB25.jpg

Howie

I had read the post early this morning and had to stop by the shop later in the day.
I took these measurements with the gauge still on the machine

A sorry didn't take a measurement.(I'd say make to your own, its just for holding the sliding gauge
B 0.7445"
C 2.75"
D 2.645"
E 0.0925"
it appears the slide screw is centered
it also appears the angles on each end are symmetrical

Is your 2nd pic of the base?

Do you need the overall height of the gauge assembly?
I believe it should be on the same center line as the center of the 6 jaw chuck

Mike

The height isn't a problem, I assume the step on the sliding gauge is on the chuck center line

Yes the second picture is the base, I've just added 2x more sizes that I need to complete things.

The overall length of the base inc. the column base & the actual column base diameter.

ZB25.b.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Howie

Anything else let me know
This should be relatively easy compared to making one of the cams....or affording one new

F 2.515"
G 1.992"
H 0.737"
I 3.142"
J 0.787"

Bottom bore 1.555" x 0.433" deep
Indexing pin (0.122" diam) which is at 3 o'clock position in your pic, is approximately 0.876 from ctr of attachment screw. This could be easily transferred from your base to the mount you machine once the bore is complete

Mike

It's been a couple of weeks now, but finally I've finished making my own one.
I thought I would share a couple of pictures.

the first is the finished item. I had a lot of trouble with the sliding gauge part. It took 5 attempts until I was sort of happy. I gave up trying to squeeze all the numbers in. Finally settling with skipping the 1 of the ten units.

the second picture shows the jig I made up to try to get correct spacing of the numbering.

Now all I need to do is to complete the rebuild of the complete machine.

Thanks again to Mike for the help with the sizes.

finished.jpg jig.jpg

Thanks for sharing.
I have just bought zb and unfortunately doesn't have cams nor the setting piece.
I have a #1 cam which I understand to be for LH standard drill bits.
Would be great to get some more detail for the holder and associated for the setting tool if possible.
Have some specs for the #2 cam and am having a go at cutting one.

Back