What's new
What's new

Britannia Lathe

jcfs2211

Plastic
Hello,
JPEG_20200614_204003.jpg
I recently bought a britannia lathe pictured above. I got it, the chuck and drill chuck for £350, which i dont think was a bad deal. However, this being my first lathe i am having a couple of issues. Firstly the issue of surface finish. The change gears here are in a double reduction and yet i am still getting finishes like this(not my picture but shows the problem). Any help is appreciated. I also dont have any charts for speeds, feeds or threads so if anybody knows where i could get them i would be happy to know. I am using carbide tooling now (china's finest) and i cannot see any chips on the insert.

Thanks

James

20200617_160222.jpg

OK, I'm not the professional that most guys here are. I'm a more experienced amateur than you. I've made that crappy surface finish. Not being a Pro, I was content to turn slow and take light cuts to sneak up on my dimensions. This sucks. Calculate the speeds and feeds. Grind your HSS cutting tools correctly, or get some carbide insert tooling. Both have their place. HSS inset tooling has been a poor investment for me, but then, I have the speed and power to use carbide. Turn as fast as you calculate, and measure between roughing passes so you develop the confidence to hit final dimensions with a decent cut on your final pass. Also, get a handle on the concept of "spring pass".

Back