What's new
What's new

broaching vs. EDM -- single pc qty in SST

specfab

Titanium
I need to make a drive roller part set to mount on a gearmotor shaft that has a drive key. The parts are 2" thk and 1.25' thk 303 respectively, and both need a 3/16" keyway put into a .750 dia shaft bore. What are the pros and cons of doing this with a broach vs. EDM process? I don't have either capability at the moment, so I would need to buy the broach, or pay an outside shop for the EDM work.

keyway

what equipment do you have? mill, lathe
a mill could do it to for one or two pcs, tool bit ground down and stroke with the tool spindle with the
spindle not turning. tells us what you have.
other wise EDM is simple,

If you have an arbor press, buy the broach (assuming its just a drive key). If its something super precision, EDM. Broaching with an arbor press is fast and cheap. EDMing is great for odd sizes, or parts that you can't broach easily (because of shape or tolerance). We have both capabilities and use them according to what is needed. High volume , broach whenever you can. If you have never used an arbor press and broach, make a practice piece.

Isn't this just a $50 Chinese broach job? Hop on Shars.com or eBay or Amazon, wait a few days, and press it through the hole?
yes you could do that to, and very simple to do, but requires a press, otherwise piece of cake.
but if has a mill or lathe won't cost anything. and your right EDM would be more cost than a push broach.
but not a pull broach.

Back