What's new
What's new

Brobo cold saw motor wiring

leeko

Stainless
Hi all

I'm working on a Brobo 300 cold saw just now. It was wired for 220v 3ph when I got it, but the motor struggled to get to speed on my RPC, got really hot then tripped the breaker. The heat was coming from the middle of the motor, not where the bearings are on either end.

I pulled the pecker head/switch cover off the motor, and found it was a mess. Some of the wires were free floating inside the box, and not protected so I'm thinking they could have been causing a short to explain the heat.

The 2 position drum switch is mechanically buggered, and will be replaced. I'm thinking I'll run it from a VFD, as I have a spare one handy. The problem is that the leads aren't numbered, and I don't trust that the last guy had it right (given the dogs dinner I found).

The motor is an AEG 1.7kw 2-speed 220v 3ph motor. From the AEG website/pdf manual, I figured it's a single winding that can be wired delta or wye for each of the speeds (wiring diagram and motor nameplate attached).

Here's what it looks like coming from the motor. There are two sets of 3 leads, each set in a fiberglass sleeve. Is it safe to assume that each set of three represents U1,V1,W1 and U2,V2,W2 ? In which case I can just pick one set, hook those three and ground to the VFD output, and see if it's the right speed?

One other issue I'm not sure how to approach, is that the high speed requires the other set of leads be shorted together (but not so for the low speed). Without knowing which is which, is it safer to try each set in turn with the other set open or shorted?

If anyone can advise, I'm sure the motor would greatly appreciate it before I let the magic smoke out!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

01b807c1d720cb87fa618f3c69ee328b.jpg
82d2750045d32116e47ec2f25bbff1bb.jpg
ca02f09b722fead6399e6b31128f8b29.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

And here's the whole page from the manual, where I figured it's a single winding dahlander connection
bf7773c0e85e737eef8f7dbcaee86701.jpg

I have the same saw.
When I purchased it the switchgear and motor had been subject to rain and were trashed/seized.
I replaced the motor with a 2hp single speed 1750 rpm that happened to be at the local salvage yard.
It was a NOS, but I needed to make an adapter as the motor frame of the Brobo wasn't the same.
I made add a VFD in the future, but for the most part the single speed does fine for what I use it for.

I would check your motors windings for shorts to the case if you felt that much heat

Thanks mjk, will do

Figured I'd try it with the (hopefully) correct wiring. If it still heats up, I'll pull it apart and see what else needs done to it, or it should be replaced. I do have another face mount 3ph motor I could replace it with - need to check the hp rating on that, I think it may be 1.5hp.

Can anyone offer advice on the wiring?

Thanks

Back