What's new
What's new

Broke acurite reading head, in a pickle and need some help

tylersteez

Aluminum
Hey guys, not sure how but the reading head for the x axis got damaged on my mazak lathe yesterday, the wires are pulled off the board and it was hanging out of the scale. I looked up inside the scale and the glass seems fine but the reading head is definitely broken. does anyone have an extra that I could buy off of them? The selection looks scarce online and I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for. I know there's an um rating but not entirely sure how it is figured out, my readings increase by .0004".

acurite reading head 1.jpg

The writing on the broken one is unreadable so I took a picture of the y axis one, I'm assuming they're the same acurite reading head 2.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Edit: figured out its an absolute zero II 10um reader head that I need. The places I've called all want to sell a brand new scale which is definitely not in the budget.

Last edited:
Probably, ebay is going to be your best bet.

But you never do know what might show up around here.

Had a pretty good bin full of spares and parts when I was at work, but them days is long gone, and I don't live in the same neighborhood any more.

You have nothing to lose but some time, trying to fix it. I have used bearing retainer compound on the ball end of the spring wire that connects the base to the reader head, and have soldered a couple jumpers in place of buggered up wires.

I do have a junked ACU rite 2 here with two of three working readers but mine don't say absolute zero on them. The other issue is I'm in Australia.

Send me a PM

What style connector is on the end of the reader head cable? I bought an odd lot of AcuRite reader heads and scales a decade or more ago. Used a few of the pieces to add a DRO to my Clausing 5914 and put the rest up in the workshop garage attic. Tomorrow, I'll have a look at what I have left over. "...an absolute zero II 10um reader head that I need..." does not ring a bell with me.

Tylersteez

I have two reader heads with the 6 pin connector. On one the cover plate looks identical - but the plate may not be original to the head. A second reader head, also 6 pin is missing the cover plate but has an "absolute zero II" decal on the side of the housing. If either of these are of interest, let me know and I'll asm the head to a scale and test the head.

I also have a reader head w/ the oval connector from a mill mate or turnmate system. Learned the hard way that a ...mate scale does not work with a round pin reader head.

Sent from my 5049W using Tapatalk

Tylersteez

I have two reader heads with the 6 pin connector. On one the cover plate looks identical - but the plate may not be original to the head. A second reader head, also 6 pin is missing the cover plate but has an "absolute zero II" decal on the side of the housing. If either of these are of interest, let me know and I'll asm the head to a scale and test the head.

I also have a reader head w/ the oval connector from a mill mate or turnmate system. Learned the hard way that a ...mate scale does not work with a round pin reader head.

Forgot to add images.
3cc9d4c62b554c621c6b1adc23490a75.jpg
76f70e17254c6f09e50e752279bee69e.jpg

Well I managed to find a cheap Y reader head on ebay and got that one sorted out a while ago. Now my Y reader head started miscounting and then stopped working all together. I took it apart and cleaned everything to no avail. Looking for another head if anyone has one. Thanks

y axis reader head.jpgy axis reader head 2.jpg

Back