What's new
What's new

Broken Milling Machine Pins

KevinPartner

Plastic
Hello all and welcome to another edition of stupid questions with Kevin.

My new (to me) milling machine arrived yesterday evening and today I've been playing with it, and I found that the table's rotation was quite off, as in I could see it from 10 feet away. The table was off by about 3 degrees. I inspected the machine and found the pins that would hold it in place, and went to loosen them. The first two (of four) came out easily, but the other two snapped while I was removing them. I believe that the tips were wedged in place and snapped when I turned them. After removing them I was able to return the table to parallel with the x axis but I'm left with two pins that are broken. I measured them and made drawings:

Milling Machine Pins - Album on Imgur

My question is if anyone knows if these are standard parts that I can order, or do I have to make some out of a 5/8-11 bolt? I don't have a lathe yet so I'd have to contract it out.
I'm not sure if I can get the tips out of the holes, but I can always just remove the table with an engine hoist or try to get them out with a magnet on a stick.

What milling machine is this?

I agree; How would one know if parts are available when the machine is a mystery? For one thing what part of the machines rotation are you talking about? Is it where the head on a vertical mill tilts? Is it where the table on a universal mill pivots? Members here are pretty knowledgeable and can steer you straight in regards to those pins with enough information so I'd advise a little help.
Dan
PS Happened again, answered while I was typing

If the magnet on a stick doesn't work try this. Try to drill a hole in the broken part and tap it. If the piece is hardened, should be, then use a carbide drill and do not tap. Chuck a high speed drill and drill until you see smoke. The drill will expand, turn blue and be ruined, remove the drill and the piece may come with it. I did this once with a hitch pin on a farm tractor.

Back