What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe 510 Surface Grinder Parts Inquiry

LanierKnives

Plastic
Good afternoon, all.

I recently purchased a B&S 510 surface grinder. I am working on converting it from a grinding wheel to a belt conversion to use with knifemaking. The SG did not come with a wheel hub adapter. So I was looking into getting a new one. I am not a machinist and am not familiar with all of this. I have attached a picture of the spindle and of the sketch I made of the taper on the spindle. Is this a standard taper? Do I have to get a B&S wheel hub or can I get an aftermarket wheel hub? I contacted Bourn and Koch and a new hub is $350. Which sound like too much to me. My buddy said his Tormach has a similar looking taper and his wheel hub is only $150 new from Tormach. So if I can get a different brand hub and save $200 then by all means I'm going to try.

I do plan on getting a custom contact wheel made for the hub, so as long as the wheel hub fits the tapered spindle then I think it'll work for me.

Thanks in advance.

B&S Tapered spindle sketch.jpgB&S Tapered spindle.jpg

Many surface grinders have about 1" at big end and some about 7/8 at big end...
Your grinder about 1" is the most standard for smaller surface grinders..Yes likely the one your friend mentioned is correct
It should have a left hand wheel holding thread so the spindle rotation goes the way to tighten the thread.and 1 1/4 wheel mounting hole.
Ref:
Alphabetical Index

Used hub/mounts/adapters run 35 to $100.
QT: [I do plan on getting a custom contact wheel made for the hub,]
very often one gets a 7" wheel with a 1/1/4 hole and dresses the OD to what is needed.

If the machine has been setting for a time a few jog starts are recommended, and the a jog start every time you start a cold spindle.

Be sure the oil pots are full of way oil...

Yes you can put a bushing on the mount to be used to drive an abrasive belt..good to also keep the option to use the machine as a surface grinder for flat and width grinding.

Last edited:
Thanks of the responses. I looked around on the provided links and found the hub that I think would be ideal for my grinder - The Sopko 00222. I guess I just need to contact Sopko now and see what they got. Thank you again!

Brown and Sharpe Wheel Hub Specs.jpg

Guess you need to consider dimension "A" fitting your intended use.
The on you show is so one can turn it around so one might use both the front and rear wheel edge with one dressing..I have never used that model so cant say anything about it.

Standard ones are designed for different wheel widths...
William Sopko & Sons Co., Inc - Standard Taper Wheel Adapters

I like model 00101 so I can use a a 3/4 wide wheel ..yes a space needed to go to a thin width wheel, below 1/2" wide.

Good to have a proper wrench and some blotters.
William Sopko & Sons Co., Inc - Tools and Accessories for Wheel Adapters

I called Sopko and spoke with a representative there. I ended up getting model 00100. It should be here next week sometime. Thanks for everyones help.

Back