What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe Balance Turning Tool Help

MaineMachine

Plastic
Could anybody kindly help me to set the knives in a Brown and Sharpe balance turning tool?

I am new to turret lathes, and having a hard time understanding how to set the knives to cut tangentially. I have read the description in "Construction and Use of Automatic Screw Machines" several times, but am still getting a nasty surface finish.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Since you mentioned knives, I think you might be looking at one of these?
Combination Roughing Hollow Mills - Brown-Sharpe SMT
If so I think I would turn a bar to the size you wanted and lightly touch each blade to the turned gauge and carefully tighten each blade. Slight adjustments in size would be made with the adjustable blade. Mine did come with the 2 back rests for finishing, but I do not think I ever used them.
If Camscan sees this thread he can probably be more help.

Just looked it up for meanness and B&S made this tool also:
Balance Turning Tools - Brown-Sharpe SMT
Never used one of these, but a box tool with a tangential cutter would be set 10% below center according to my machinery handbook. That always seemed too much for me and I generally set them .02 to .03 below center. Look for rubbing on your blades, if you find it try setting each blade a little lower.
Again Camscan where are you?

Here is a NOS 5/8" shank B&S balance turning tool for those unfamiliar with them, along with the 1925 catalog description. Note that they are for roughing, and can remove a fair amount in one pass. The balanced feature of using two cutters avoids applying torque to the turret, as happens with a knee tool. A roller box tool is a better choice for getting a smooth finish and accurate diameter.

Larry

DSC02273.jpg DSC02274.jpg DSC02275.jpg DSC02276.JPG cropped.jpg

Could anybody kindly help me to set the knives in a Brown and Sharpe balance turning tool?

I am new to turret lathes, and having a hard time understanding how to set the knives to cut tangentially. I have read the description in "Construction and Use of Automatic Screw Machines" several times, but am still getting a nasty surface finish.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
1. Material ?
2. Diameter ?
3. Speed & feed ?
4. Final dia. ?

Pix of your present set-up & bad finish will help greatly.

Thanks very much for all your help.

I was not using the balance tool for a finish, finish, but rather to take off a lot of material before taking a second pass with a roller box tool to take it down to final OD before threading.

I have set up the balance tool correctly on center now, and it is providing a suitable rough finish cut.

Thanks.

Back