What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe Hite-Set 583-need documentation

GRM

Plastic
Brown and Sharpe Hite-Set 583-Calibration Instructions, anyone?

Can anyone tell me how to calibrate this height gage? When it is actually set at 1.000", the dial is at approximately .925. Can the large thimble be adjusted along the axis so that the edge is aligned with the 1.0 mark, and then fine-adjusted from that point? At present, it's not even close.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I know this is a horrifyingly old thread, but did you resolve this?
I recently acquired an 18” 583 and while all else excellent, it read some .0022” low. I prodded at it and elected to adjust the stack up holder and it now reads perfectly (or at least as well as my tools verify).
At back & top of stationary guide rod, loosen larger knurled check nut (standard RH thread so anti-clockwise). Next insert 3/32 hex key in the set screw and loosen. Now use a 5/16” open end wrench to adjust the threaded adjustment/coupler in the stationary guide rod to desired reading.
To lock setting, hold hex headed adjustment/coupling screw fixed and finger secure the knurled check nut. Some fiddling is needed while securing so just watch your indicator pointer. When secure, retighten the set screw.
Image attached.
Cannot say if this it the factory recommended method, but they aren’t answering the phone these days!IMG_4921.jpeg

Back