What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe Model A turrent drill (how to adjust spindle speed) or manual

noobie

Plastic
Got a Brown and Sharpe turret drill model a ( it was labeled as an IBS at the auction they mistakenly thought the square was an I) looking to adjust the spindle speed and don't want to make any dunderheaded mistakes by just fiddling with itturrent drill.jpg.

Got a Brown and Sharpe turret drill model a ( it was labeled as an IBS at the auction they mistakenly thought the square was an I) looking to adjust the spindle speed and don't want to make any dunderheaded mistakes by just fiddling with it.
I used to own one of those...used it for years...but been so long ago can't remember how to adjust the speeds. Seems like each position could be adjusted for two different speeds (via two speed motor) but I forget how. I sold it to PM member Brian at Versamil....contact him perhaps.

Been 40years. At the top of the head there's a small door. A wrench go's in there to adjust the belt on variable pullies , and the motor is high - low speed .
Been a while , I didn't have much time on that machine. The shop mechanic did the adjustment. See if that helps you.

Each spindle has adjustable speed by screwing in or out an allen bolt, directly behind the quill. There's six of them. If you clean off the plate that the six bolts are attacked to, you'll see they are numbered from one to six. Corresponds to the associated drill chuck.The door the other poster is referring to is the depth control for each chuck. Dons old turret drill is NOT a two speed- it's any speed you want for any chuck. Time flies by- it's been fourteen years since I bought it. Old guys can't remember details like how to set spindle speeds.

I'm getting rid of a lot of old machines, but the turret drill will be a keeper, until I pull the plug on the whole operation. That drill was one of the FIRST machines I bought after buying VersaMil- great machine! Quick to set up, and it saves a TON of time. I do runs of four step pulleys 200 to 300 at a time, and every one of them is drilled, counterbored and tapped on the turret drill.

The depth stop behind the door in front was intuitive, though there are half round levers at the top of the spindle height screws, I couldn't ascertain what function they engaged. How is the speed reduction accomplished mechanically by adjusting the screws (in general ) is it a clutch, cone, belt or some such prone to wear? I noticed only a single on switch, with many switches operated by engaging the levers, and a box of relays that looks rather intimidating. Using Milacron's comments about the Drill from an older post, it seems some of those relays are for the instant reversing mechanism. You mentioned the motor is a single speed, but with the number of relays and 2 hp power specifications on the motor plate I wonder if those Allen head bolts also engage a relay to double the speed shifting mechanism. If the coolant doesn't have a switch, should I disable it in the relay box or is it safe to run dry?
Thank you for the knowledge shared.

The turret drill reverses INSTANTLY for tapping when you raise the quill. I have tapped THOUSANDS of holes with it and NEVER had a tap break! I don't run coolant in mine. If something wears in the turret drill- it wears pretty slowly.
I've NEVER had a single thing fail in fourteen years. I run four drill chucks and two tapping heads. been the same set-up the entire time. So hopefully I REMAIN ignorant on what drives it. If it works- don't fix it. There MUST be a clutch in there somewhere, as every time the quill is raised up, it stops spinning. Tapping on it is so incredibly easy and fast. A flick of the wrist on the quill handle and the sucker reverses.

I'm drilling aluminum, and only using a tapping fluid brushed on the tap, instead of making a mess with coolant. If there's no switch for the coolant motor, just disconnect it. The drill is NOT very rigid for drilling big holes in steel, I typically do my aluminum pulleys, but occasionally drilling and tapping iron castings, so have never used coolant.

. Dons old turret drill is NOT a two speed- it's any speed you want for any chuck. Time flies by- it's been fourteen years since I bought it. Old guys can't remember details like how to set spindle speeds.
It does achieve the full range of speeds (200 to 4000 rpm) via a 2 speed motor and Reeves drive, but true it is not limited to 2 separate RPM's.... I was thinking Burgmaster when I typed that. Re tapping you forgot to mention another cool feature... it reverses at twice the speed it enters. I had installed Bilz QC tap chucks on one or two of the spindles so that tap holders with built in clutch can be used.

The design is vasty superior to the more popular Burgmaster....must have been way more expensive new, thus the rarity of them. Although I can see a Burgmaster might have been faster for high production jobs where each turret station is needed in the order it was tooled. The beauty of the B&S style for moderate production or prototype work is the ease of skipping stations if desired....go straight from station 1 to 5 if you want.

Last edited:
The drill is NOT very rigid for drilling big holes in steel
Then you should find the elusive Model B, and place it right next to your A ! I have never seen one in real life, but have a few brochures that elaborate on the larger B version.

Cost

Got a Brown and Sharpe turret drill model a ( it was labeled as an IBS at the auction they mistakenly thought the square was an I) looking to adjust the spindle speed and don't want to make any dunderheaded mistakes by just fiddling with itView attachment 129348.

How much would one of these machines cost? Is there still an appetite for them?

Back