What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe Screw Machine, 8.750" long Rod (video)

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I forgot that I got a new phone that I could take videos of my machines running to show off. I also forget that people dont get to see this stuff often if ever.

Here is the link https://youtu.be/0tx0oG0uWvk

303 SS, 8.750" Long, 1/4-20 on one end, Chamfered/Cutoff. I am not using a proper cam for the job, I can probably get it down to 15 seconds or less. I have it at 18 seconds right now.

Enjoy.

Neat. I confess I've never seen the "inside-the-turret-feed-stop" trick before.

I use it on a few jobs. I have a 3.30" long rod I do (5-40 on one end .125" O.D.) out of 316 SS, and another at 5.30" Long. It stabilizes the part for cutoff and leaves a smaller than normal tit on the part.

Dan,
I like seeing old machinery making profit. One of my first jobs was oiling and pulling pans of parts away from a line of B&S Screw Machines. Always thought I should own one but never got into large quantity stuff. My son bought two old Snow nut tappers that feed from a vibrator bowl and has run many K nuts with very little invested. Tink, and tweak a bit, & keep the bowl full. One semi skilled person can tend two machines and they run all day. Like yours. Nice set up. I too never saw the stop through the turret.
spaeth

Dan,
I like seeing old machinery making profit. One of my first jobs was oiling and pulling pans of parts away from a line of B&S Screw Machines. Always thought I should own one but never got into large quantity stuff. My son bought two old Snow nut tappers that feed from a vibrator bowl and has run many K nuts with very little invested. Tink, and tweak a bit, & keep the bowl full. One semi skilled person can tend two machines and they run all day. Like yours. Nice set up. I too never saw the stop through the turret.
spaeth

I almost bought a nut tapper with bowl feeder at auction last week. It was in a multi spindle shop and I told myself I would never be able to make enough qty to be competitive. I really like how they run though.

I think I have another video on my phone I can pull up from a collar I run in many sizes and materials.

The ones with slotting attachments are cool to watch. I have a tiny plug I run many thousands per year out of 316 SS. This part has a tit that needs to be snipped and previously lapped ( got the ok not to do this anymore ). I plan on using the pickoff attachment to grab it and run it on a de-burring wheel. I can show videos of that one once it is set up.

I had a x-drill attachment running before but I dont like them that much.

Ill get some more videos up this week. I bought some pallet racking yesterday and it came in today. I gotta set it up tomorrow and see how much floor space I can free up. Also bought 2 more Brownies at auction I am picking up on Monday.

When you do multiple feeds for length, how close can you hold length?

I can hold +/- .0005. I use a brass stop for this job and it will puck up a little bit throughout the day. I have to adjust it forward .001 after 1000 part run (End of the day)

Holding .000/+.001 on the length is easy to do. Dead Length collet system.

Here is another one of a collar I run lots of. https://youtu.be/DsPOpfNChzE

These are collars that I machine blanks for. The company has a few rotary transfer machines for the 2nd op work, x-drill, tap, slit, etc. Any collar with a set screw x-drilled coming out of Mcmaster and made in USA has a good chance of originating right here.

The jingle of the machine running is the sound of making money. I like to listen to them run sometimes and just let the video play on loop.

Enjoy.

Dan,
I can fix you right up with a Helix Master cam grinding device so you can take care of that cam.

Thanks but I dont need it. If I need cams made I have guys for that. It would cost me too much in downtime to make/alter them myself. We used to do this years ago, but jobs repeat so often that almost all of them have their own set of cams now.

This job came back for the 2nd time. Next run I might have another cam made for it. As of right now I have 5 min between bars, I find myself sitting for 1-1.5 min and waiting for it to finish up. If I shave 3-4 more seconds off it I might be able to get production a little higher.

I can get a new bar loaded and running within 30 seconds of the last part. Previously I had to deal with wiping down the barstock with a scotch brite pad and loading would take a few min. @ 5 min per bar with a 3 min changeover, it really hurts the production for the day. 1000 parts/day can turn into 600 really quick and add another week to the job.

To my great regret,i bought two B&S screw machines new in crates.....and just scrapped them,without even looking at them ....anyhoo,seems you need a multi spindle auto for the collection.

I mentioned this on another thread some time back, but there is an old guy in town here who runs a shop with his wife. He bids on jobs for the automakers and other large users of bolts/fasteners. When he gets one job, he stops taking jobs. They work non-stop on that one order until it's done, often 2-3 months. He's running screw machines like that one...nothing CNC and nothing remotely close to being new. His shop is hole in the wall place...looks like hell but that also means lower taxes.

Because it's only him and his wife, and all of their shop and machines are paid for, they have low overhead and make a very good profit. He told me his last job was a specialty bolt for transmissions....quantity 2 million.

I mentioned this on another thread some time back, but there is an old guy in town here who runs a shop with his wife. He bids on jobs for the automakers and other large users of bolts/fasteners. When he gets one job, he stops taking jobs. They work non-stop on that one order until it's done, often 2-3 months. He's running screw machines like that one...nothing CNC and nothing remotely close to being new. His shop is hole in the wall place...looks like hell but that also means lower taxes.

Because it's only him and his wife, and all of their shop and machines are paid for, they have low overhead and make a very good profit. He told me his last job was a specialty bolt for transmissions....quantity 2 million.

Most of my machines were either given to me for free or I picked up for $500 or less. I have 20 machines wired and ready to run, with another 12-15 spares for parts, backups, etc.

My overhead is $500/month. 2 machines running at $40/hr makes me money. I have been running jobs faster and more efficiently lately and have seen around $60-$65/hr per machine. I dont like getting dirty or working on old equipment, but the money is good and its not too difficult for me with this much experience under my belt.

My dad came from the Multi Spindle world in the 70's-80's. He regularly saw million part runs at 100k parts per month. Going into these shops sometimes feels like going back in time. Mine sure does sometimes, even to me.

Ive got 3 more jobs to set up next week. I have a 3.5 second pin at 75k part run. Another 303 SS collar .750" O.D. with .375" bore, have it at 55-60 seconds. There is a few smaller 316L parts that are cool to watch run too.

More videos to come. Glad everyone enjoys them.

Here is a new video. https://youtu.be/JVTAE90FBb0

I have made about 35k of these in the last 4 years. I was having problems tapping these a while back (learned a lot about work hardening). I came here for advice and I was pointed towards OSG Form Taps. OSG #5-40 UNC 2B Modified Bottoming Thread Forming Tap, is what I use now ($50/ea). They work wonders for me, I am very impressed.

Left handed drills, Right hand tap.

316 SS, .500" long, .375" deep threads. 36 second cycle time, 100 parts an hour. I use 500 parts a day as a baseline, I can get 3000-4000 a week if I work Sat/Sun.

Enjoy.

Cool stuff. I've been in a machine shop 30 years and I wouldn't know my ass from a hole in the ground if you put in front of one of those machines.

Although I wouldn't have a clue as to how to set one up I do love to watch those machines work. I few years ago I met a fellow that ran a job shop in the Detroit area. Among other things he was making parts for the auto industry. One of the high quantity parts he was making were bleed screws for brake calipers. Most orders were in the 1,000,000 to 3,000,000 range with a few up to 5,000,000.

He has a dozen B&S screw machines on the floor with another dozen or so as backups. The time per unit was 2.3 seconds. At the time he was working on ways to lower the time to 1.9 seconds per unit to remain competitive and still make a profit.

What's the order quantity where it makes sense to use these machines?

They generally like 2k-25k part runs. Cycle times like to stay between 12 and 40 seconds on the .500" capacity machines.

I have a pin that I am running at 3.5 seconds @ 75k qty. 11 min per 12' bar.

Some small watch parts can get lower cycle times and do 100k-500k part runs.

My bigger machines stay between 2k-10k part runs usually.

Back