What's new
What's new

Wrench for splined drawbar?

tbrookin

Plastic
Hi All,

I just got a Jet bench mill (square column, not round). There is no drawbar\spindle brake to my knowledge and it's hard to get the nut on the drawbar tight, as the drawbar wants to rotate. If I do get it tight, it's hard to undo, as again the drawbar wants to rotate when I use the wrench on the nut.

The drawbar is splined... If I had a wrench to hold the drawbar in place while tightening the nut it would be great. I wanted to check if anyone knows of a commercial type wrench for this, otherwise I suppose I will be building one.

The drawbar is approximately 1.020 inches on the OD of the splines and .820 on the ID of the splines. There are six splines. I've attached a photo taken from the top down so you can see the splines.

DrawbarTop.jpg

Hi All,

I just got a Jet bench mill (square column, not round). There is no drawbar\spindle brake to my knowledge and it's hard to get the nut on the drawbar tight, as the drawbar wants to rotate. If I do get it tight, it's hard to undo, as again the drawbar wants to rotate when I use the wrench on the nut.

The drawbar is splined... If I had a wrench to hold the drawbar in place while tightening the nut it would be great. I wanted to check if anyone knows of a commercial type wrench for this, otherwise I suppose I will be building one.

The drawbar is approximately 1.020 inches on the OD of the splines and .820 on the ID of the splines. There are six splines. I've attached a photo taken from the top down so you can see the splines.

View attachment 271221

Might want to peruse the rules up top about your specific machine.

I have one from Luminar and it is great. I believe they make two different models for different mills. So be sure it will fit your mill or it can be returned if not.

Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

I had trouble getting the Luminar web site. Perhaps it will work later. I can't really remember where I bought mine, but the Grizzly link works.

Last edited:

Back