What's new
What's new

Buck Chuck Pinion Gear

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
I just acquired a used 8" Buck Set-Tru, model 2083R.
No idea of the age of the chuck.
Exterior inspection was good, two-piece jaws, no big dings or evidence of any crashes.

Get it apart for clean/lube, and the pinion gear is missing half, of five of the teeth- and all those that are half broken are on the outside part of the gear.

Oddly, the scroll gear isn't that bad. A few teeth slightly effed up (from being torqued on with partial contact), but they're all there and the actual scroll side that drives the jaws looks fine.

Any idea of the age of this model, and if there might be a replacement pinion available from Buck?

I suppose I could just put it back together and use it, but I'd like to fix it if possible.

Absent part availability, is this something a welding shop could braze up "good enough" to be functional?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my thinking is it's the jaw side of the scroll that really matters and this wouldn't affect accuracy of the chuck?

MSC used to show various chuck brand spare parts in their catalog, so they might help. Or Kalamazoo Chuck or whoever owns the Buck brand now might help. I have noted that 6" Kalamazoo chucks look exactly like 6" Buck chucks, and both were made in Kalamazoo. Similarly, BTC (China) chucks seem to be exact copies of Buck chucks, so they may have a pinion to fit.

The flat back surface of Buck chucks usually have a two-digit number that, if you put 19 in front, is the build year.

Larry

Call Hardinge parts. I recently acquired a 6" 2 jaw adjust-tru chuck badged "Hardinge by Buck". Excellent condition except for broken pinion as you describe. Hardinge had the part and ISTR that they said they now own Buck. Parts folk were helpful enough to measure key dimensions on the new part to confirm it would fit my chuck. About $50.
Jim

Friendly and expert support for original Buck chucks is still available in Kalamazoo Michigan, from original Buck employees and owners. They also sell new chucks.

They were extremely helpful last year when I acquired a 1966 Buck 12" 6 jaw and needed best practice to remove somewhat stuck jaws after removing the scroll (tap out lightly with a hammer, not a press). They were able to give me details on rpm limits, original cost ($564 with plate, $4291 in 2018 dollars!), etc. They also do R&R's and rebuilds.

(269) 679-2325

There are new "Buck" chucks being manufactured, but I think that is a licensed deal with a different company.

About Us - Kalamazoo Chuck Manufacturing - 888-727-4703 - Workholding - Power Chucks, Manual Chucks, Custom Chucks, Chuck Repair, Chuck Service, Chuck Jaws, Chuck Catalog

Kalamazoo Chuck Manufacturing and Service Center CEO Duane Burnham began his career with the Buck Tool Company over 40 years ago and later became an owner of the Buck Chuck Company.

In 1998 he proudly founded Kalamazoo Chuck Manufacturing and Service Center to better serve his customer’s complete workholding needs.

Today, Kalamazoo Chuck Manufacturing and Service Center continues to offer you the best American Made chucks and chuck products, known worldwide for their unparalleled quality. Our products, support and customer service are what sets us apart from every competitor.

Kalamazoo Chuck Manufacturing and Service Center is your one-stop source for all workholding needs, as well as providing on-site engineering for special and custom applications and complete maintenance on all brands of chucks.

Thanks, found the date on the back of the chuck body, 12/94.
Called Kalamazoo, they have the pinion gear.
A bit pricey at $135.00 IMO...
Rest of the chuck seems tight, so hopefully I don't end up with an even more expensive paperweight. Paid $200 sans backplate, so all told I'll be into it for less than $500.

Back