What's new
What's new

Budd wheel conical lug nut seat specs.

chevy43

Stainless
I'm looking for the conical lug nut seat countersink specifications and a tool for it. I can't find anything on the web.

Edit!: Some info shows ball seat and some shows conical.....

Anybody have any info. on this?

SAE - good idea. I just found one publication that might have it but they want $355 for it....

I'm hoping for an alternative..

There are millions of these all over the world every where. No specs on the WWW?

There were at least 3 different sizes of Budd style nuts. The most common are 3/4-16 inside and 1-1/8-16 outside. Some are 15/16-12 inside and 1-5/16-12 outside. Then there is a metric version that is M20 inside M30 outside. I think they all use 13/16 or 21 mm square on the inner nut but the outer nut is 1-1/2 hex on the common one, 1-3/4 on the heavy one, and 1-5/8 or 41mm on the metric one.

FWIW, I hate budd wheels. I used to work on rusty old Freuhoff trailers with budd wheels. The right side is left hand thread (or is it the other way around?). About every 10th outer nut one you try to take off will either spin in the rim and loosen the inner nut leaving the outer and inner nut stuck together in the outer rim, or even worse, it will push the stud back into the brake drum and leave you with the nuts captured on the outer rim.

I have a special wrench that clips on the ID of the rim to drive the inner nuts through the outer nuts when they come off together. What a pain in the ass. And I can't count the number that I had to heat up or that stripped or that broke off the stud as soon as you touched the inner nut.

I'm looking for the seat taper info. I need to chamfer the seat. Nuts are easy to get.

Left side left hand - right side right hand.

I always lube the nuts and tighten the inner nut tighter than the outer.

If the inner turns I use my gear wrench that holds the inner while loosening the outer. It's must have tool for old trucks. they can be bought on e-bay for less than $60. They will remove or break off anything by hand. You can by a 3/4 or 1" socket adapter for them as well.

Lot's of problems are caused by idiots with 1 inch impact wrenches and no sense.

Attachments

• Ken-Tool-Military-Surplus-Truck-Wheel-Rim-Tire-Lug.jpg
    Ken-Tool-Military-Surplus-Truck-Wheel-Rim-Tire-Lug.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 611
  • Lug wrench.jpg
    Lug wrench.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 369
Turns out it's a ball seat. There is very little seat to try and extrapolate the diameter of the ball shape. It's kind of like trying to get specifications for threads from going to the hardware store and measuring bolts. As a machinist I like to operate from specifications.

Since there are hundreds of millions of them - I'm hoping someone here might know.

$10 paid by paypal to the first person who can come up with official specs posted or sent to me for Budd truck wheel ball seats.

I can buy a ball bearing 1 3/4 for about $10. I think I can grind a cutter out of it for what I want to do. I have to drill it for a shank to grip it in the drill.

Maybe grind a flat on it and drill it with a carbide bit?

Back