What's new
What's new

To bump a guy off because he has one of these contradicts these adds here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what the title means is that Practical Machinist contradicts itself by banning discussion of certain machines, but then advertises those machines.

Practical Machinist does not hand pick advertisements, and does not have much control over what is shown.

I think what the title means is that Practical Machinist contradicts itself by banning discussion of certain machines, but then advertises those machines.

Practical Machinist does not hand pick advertisements, and does not have much control over what is shown.

Results in revenue for Practical Machinist?

Perhaps they should... It is totally hypocritical.
This was the whole purpose behind the push to https. It has nothing to do with "security". People were substituting their own ads, or even cutting google out altogether, and google doesn't like that.

Therefore they brainwashed y'all into believing that there was a "security" issue. With https it became very difficult to block or substitute non-google advertising.

Your friendly neighborhood "free and open sores" browsers went right along for the ride, whores that they are.

And people think masks are 'tyranny' ...

I never see any ads for Chinese junk lathes here, but I do see Chinese junk calipers. Ads on this site don't seem to be based on my searches, but they definitely are on many other sites. I bought a couple power supplies a few weeks ago and now power supply ads are following me.

It bothers me I ordered my model D83 Swedish Sure-Grip Suck Machine from an ad here, but I'm not allowed to discuss it.

Not on PM,but the oddest advertising Ive seen in the forum space would be an Anti Gun group advert on the Gunboards forum.....Its quite obvious agencies "buy" or even "own" the space and advertisers deal with the agencies for suitable placement.

I remember that this website looks identical to another website/forum. So the service is purchased. Fair enough.
I don't mind the small little lathes. The adds can suck people in and then the get burned. Who reads the rules anymore?

The ads I object to are the trading ads for financial stuff that can suck up a $100,000 in a few minutes..........However ,best so far is a "clone" website masquerading as the Oz ABC public broadcaster ,with stolen pics of politicians advising to buy Bitcoin.

It bothers me I ordered my model D83 Swedish Sure-Grip Suck Machine from an ad here, but I'm not allowed to discuss it.

is that the one that david bowie did that song about back in the 70's ? there's going to be a thread lock

I do not think that the ad companies like Google and Amazon are all that good at targeting their ads. I do a search for something, like a lathe and bingo, I suddenly see a bunch of ads for lathes. All kinds of lathes.

As I read this thread, I saw an add on the right for a digital caliper and it was an Amazon ad; it said so. So, is that ad on this page because of your post? Or was that Amazon caliper ad there because you posted here?

Either way, I am not sure how that works. If you are being targeted with ads for calipers, why am I seeing it. I have not done any searches for calipers or viewed any pages about them lately. So it seems unlikely that I am seeing it because you were looking at them. Perhaps they are just reacting to your post which contained those two words, "Amazon" and "caliper". Whatever they are doing, it really is not a very good or intelligent use of the massive files that they keep on all of us.

I have worked for ad agencies and my personal opinion is they really don't have a clue. When their techniques work it is more due to having a good product and some luck than to any skill at selling things on their part. One thing an ad agency will never, EVER do is let themselves be paid on a per sale basis. Never! They would go broke.

Don't believe me? Well the OWNER of an ad company I worked for actually stated that only one in ten of their ad campaigns actually sold enough product to pay for the campaign. The other nine were at a loss for the client companies. So just how good can they be at selling something? What they are good at is moving money from someone else's pocket to theirs.

A few ads aren't targeted to me, but the Amazon calipers ad definitely is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back