What's new
What's new

Burgmaster 1 D

Bingo001

Plastic
I have a Burgmaster 1-D that we use for drilling and tapping water pump housings. The Tapper is basically worn out and will not engage. Can anyone point me to where I can get parts or where I can buy one? It threads on to the machine 5/8-16 and uses a small tap. I have ordered a service manual on line.
Thanks! Don

The tapper on this machine looks nothing like the Tapmatics tools. The Tapmatics are round. The one I have is square and bolts to the machine with 2 small screws on the turret to keep it stationary. You may be right, if the working parts are the same, but as of now, I still haven't received the service manual. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post pictures here. Thanks for the input!

Oh! the reason I want to stay with this exact tapper is a clearance issue. This one sets up perfectly for our production. To put a longer tapper in it's place would not work. There wouldn't be enough space between the the tap and the pumps we are making. We would have to set up another drill press to tap the holes. If you would like to see our pumps, look up "Zip's Water Pumps" They are made for the small block Chevy and new ones are coming out for the big Block and Hemi.

Just found something else too. Burgmaster Houdaille Tapper 1 D

Last edited:
You might find a whole (needing parts) 1D somewhere for about what you are willing to pay for a tapping head.

I went to Burgmaster school in 1980. (For the large machines.) At the beginning of the first day of class the guy got up there and said "The Japs are coming. They're already here with CNC lathes and they are going to bring machining centers". 18 months later Burgmaster was closed. (The small machines were continued to be supported by someone in Cerritos.)

I'm in a similar bind and I asked over at the "Tooling for Sale" section of this Forum.
One member offered me his Tapmatic for $450. It was a bit too many $$ for me, but you might contact him if it fits your budget. There are a bunch of smaller ones that tap up to 1/4" on ebay if you're willing to dig deep.

I have been on Ebay and I am looking at all leads. Thank you guys! Nelho, Yep the body is square and has two small screws in the sheet metal near the top that threat into the turret of the Burgmaster to keep is stationary. My friend Zip has been using it for 40 years and is just to convenient being able to drill all his holes and tap the four for the pump in one place. If need be, he can move the tapping to another machine but we are trying to avoid the extra step. Tap size is 5/16

I was hoping that Burgmaster had rebranded someone else's tapper, in which case parts might still be available for your unit. There are a couple oddball tappers in the attic here looking for a use, but they're not square.

Just got the Burmaster manual yesterday. It has nothing about the tapper so We will take it apart today to check it out. We may have to make our own parts to fix it but that is just not something we wanted to spend time on Thanks!

It was suggested that the Tapper may be a rebranded Tapmatic. I called them and talked to Joe. He had me email pictures to him. Unfortunately, it is not tapmatic. I will say though, talking to Joe was a pleasure and I hope Tapmatic as a whole is as good as he is. As for me saying the Tapper was square, I was not accurate. The body is round with a flat face. The hard thing here is finding a tapper that mounts 5/8-18 not a taper and not spending $700.

No offense intended, but if you were able to post a pic somehow, I'm sure someone could identify it.

If you're able to take a pic and email it to me, I could post it for you.

It was suggested that the Tapper may be a rebranded Tapmatic. I called them and talked to Joe. He had me email pictures to him. Unfortunately, it is not tapmatic. I will say though, talking to Joe was a pleasure and I hope Tapmatic as a whole is as good as he is. As for me saying the Tapper was square, I was not accurate. The body is round with a flat face. The hard thing here is finding a tapper that mounts 5/8-18 not a taper and not spending $700.

It could be any number of other tapping head designs, allot of them look (and act like) a Procunier.

If you would post some pix, and of the inside of the unit, you may be able to simply order parts for repair.

Back