What's new
What's new

Burgmaster turret drill press HELP!!

Cwestveer

Plastic
Hello everyone,

I just recently picked up a 6 head Burgmaster drill press at an estate sale. I am having trouble with getting the motor to handle the load and run the belt when it is hooked up to the threaded pins that cause the drill press to spin.

I spent hours tinkering to no avail. The best result I have got is intermittent power causing the drill press to work for a few seconds. I have taken the motor apart. It is an older 1/3 hp motor and it doesn’t look like it has a capacitor.

On the belt face it has a nut that is sandwiched by springs that seems to control how tight the belt is and if I tighten too much the motor will smoke and belt won’t spin. If I loosen the nut will just spin independent of the belt and the belt won’t rotate. Right now it is in between those two and the motor just hums when I turn it on and nothing happens.

Hello everyone,

... if I tighten too much the motor will smoke and belt won’t spin. ...

Nice turret drill. Very handy for small work.

Two possibilities: something wrong with the motor or something wrong with the load.

Will the motor spin freely with the belt off, no power? Will the load spin freely, also belt off, no power?

Motor amperage, no load, full load, would be helpful numbers to have if you have an ammeter.

BTW, it's never a good idea to get a motor so hot that it smokes.

Back